First build: Boombox for a friend.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No idea what I'm doing, just kinda jumped into it, electronics supplied to build around, this is what I came up with for a quick knock up.

BzEWiw2.jpg

speaker cutouts not in model yet, but rest seems about right, not sure if it should be ported or not yet either. just after some basic input/feedback.

Will be built from 18mm MDF.

Amp - Compact 2 x 20WRMS Stereo Amplifier | Jaycar Electronics

Speakers - Response 4 Inch Coax 2 Way Car Speaker | Jaycar Electronics

Battery - 12V 7.2Ah SLA Battery | Jaycar Electronics
**will be an isolation switch and 5/10A fuse on the positive line**

Not really sure what other basics to give since the pic explains alot.

Electronics are set in stone since he already bought it all.

Cheers all in advance for the feedback.

edit: ID of box is L600xH300xW300, OD is 636x336x351.
Can give more measurements if needed.

Last edited:
I build portable units on the cheap. I have discovered portable units aren't quite big enough to even try to get the stereo effect so why bother. No sense of trying to combine a stereo source to a mono amp. Stereo amps and stereo sources are plentiful. Keep it simple and use a dual voice coil full range speaker. Now all you only need to worry about is one cone to design an enclosure for, hence saving material and size! 5.25" driver.. 1.5 ft. of area and a simple slot port 1"x4" using 1/2" osb. Lightly stuffed with some fiberglass insulation and you're good to go. Here's one of the drivers I use..

Amazon.com: Bic America M-SR5D Dual Voice Coils in-Ceiling Speakers: BIC AMERICA: Home Audio & Theater

To Add..
This is a great overall full function amp. Good chip and it doesn't destroy the FM receiver. It will drive the above driver very well..

Amazon.com: Kentiger HY-502S 2CH Speaker Bluetooth Hi-Fi Super Bass Power Stereo Amplifier Digital USB/SD Card Player FM Radio: Computers & Accessories

Consider this type of battery. Much lighter and more Ahr. for the size..

Amazon.com: Fashion Outlet Super Power New Dc 12v Portable 9800mah Li-ion Rechargeable Battery Pack: Home Audio & Theater

Just a suggestion for a quick, easy portable unit that will amaze.. HAVE FUN!!!

Last edited:
Thank for the feedback guys, yeah it will be heavy, but that's fine and it will likely on occasion be sat on, so the extra bulk probably isn't totally out of line, at least that was my thoughts, but i will have a look at 16mm as the alternative.

As for the electronics, yeah might see if he'll shell out for alternative speakers depending here, noticed the range on those is 90hz-20khz, wondering how that is going to pan out for anything with bass. :x

Any input there by chance?

Thank you in advance!

N/P Galu and I agree. Sometimes I get carried away with my "Food for Thought" intentions. My super frugal mindset doesn't help either.. ;)

I'm having trouble trying to understand the OP's enclosure design. (Approx. 12"x24"?) I've used 4" coaxial car speakers with good results. They need some room to produce bass and a port to let them breath. Are the square cut outs intended to be internal ports?

I build portable units on the cheap. I have discovered portable units aren't quite big enough to even try to get the stereo effect so why bother.
That is a really interesting thought.
But it isn't well described; it isn't just the distance between the speakers, but how they are phisically detatched
Freestanding speakers sound distinct on their own because they are two units, like us, we don't have one coclear expansion all around the face with two holes in it, he have two distinct ears at the sides of the head :rolleyes:

@ OGKG

Posts #7 and #8 seemed to just pop up between our posts #6 and #9. I didn't see them there when I posted! Anyway, they show that d3c0y is appreciative of your suggestion so I should just have kept my mouth shut! Apologies again.

I, too, am curious about the internal arrangements. They seem unnecessarily complicated and requiring of an explanation of the thinking behind the design. d3c0y please note.

My take would be two acoustically separate compartments. I would go for sealed, but also like your suggestion of 'untuned' slot ports.

N/P Galu.. I know that your intentions are good like mine. Let's get some beer and help this fella out.. :)

@picowallspeaker.. I figure a portable unit is usually one box/enclosure with everything inside. The goal is high SPL with good fidelity in the smallest size possible without a bunch of fancy electronics. (Old school design) I guess one could design a unit with detachable speakers but one would still need to seperate them 6 ft. or more to bring the stereo effect alive, wouldn't you agree?

@avtech23.. I gave up on trying to get stereo from a spread (seperation) of usually less than 3 ft. Granted, 2 drivers does give some increase of SPL but is the gain enough to justify an enclosure that is twice the size than it needs to be? If 2 drivers at 87db/watt is used, perhaps 90db may be expected. One dvc full range of some quality at 90db is used, what is lost? Half the needed enclosure size! One can even make the enclosure a little bigger than needed for some "boomier" bass and still keep the size within reason. Just another brain fart from a non-scientific old guy that likes to experiment..

@d3c0y.. Build that rascal and see what happens! I agree with Galu. 2 separate compartments. Just don't epoxy the drivers in.. ;) The magic is you can always go back to the saw and try again..

Hi guys, sorry for intermittent replies, don't get many chances to get on and check around at the moment.

To be honest, I'd be a little iffy of breeching any forum rules for part of the design intent, but suffice to say there will be a 150x150x150 acrylic box mounted in there for shisha, and the possibly unnecessary complexity internally was trying to minimize paths for any fluid toward electronics incase things happen as they do.
Figuring a bead of silicon on the tank side edges of the wall should avoid seeping and lining the mdf in that segment to avoid damage.

With that oddity/awkwardness on the table, I'd understand any shying away.

Otherwise generally dimensions came about from looking at people's homemade bookshelf speakers as a reference, the angled panel in there is likely ill thought though.
I read along my browsing something about avoiding an entirely flat back in the box if possible to reduce any dissonance. typing this out makes me realize i need to go read about on that.

All learning though at this point, I will have spare material after i do this so thinking I may have a crack at properly making a set of audio monitors(big jump I know), but it'll be for me then, so I will be able to take my time. They would be going with my VSTi box and drums....but for another time/thread.

Doh did it again, I might try just building the box without the internal complexity initially and see how it sounds, I can understand the questioning of over design completely honestly and kind of have a bad habit of doing it.

If part of the project is not of consequence, I will post a drawing with, at this stage the entire internal layout before i start tinkering with internal baffles and ports.

Thank you again!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.