attic horn subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The listening room is the master bedroom of a single story saltbox with the ridge running E/W. It is on the SE corner and the mains will be on the W wall which is 16' with an adjoining bath to the N adding 6' which flows into the BR through a 30"x74" aperture. Listener seating will be 14' from the wall but there will be live performance interiorly sometimes on top of recorded program. The BR/Bath combo reaches to the ridge line with an attached garage to the N taking up the rest, with the service panel and ground at the end.

I have two Altec Lansing 515 (no suffix, i.e. 20 ohm Hollywood) and eight RCA MI-9449 15" drivers. All have been reconed so the Thiele-Small parameters are uncertain but I can measure them.

The attic plenum has loose fiberglass to the top of the (6") joists. l can do whatever I want. I play rock organ and want concert SPL as close to the bottom as I can get, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on different drivers for the sub 20Hz region. I just want to squeeze as much as I can out of what I've got with stuff from Home Depot.

One question up front: it seems like I could get design geometry easier using plane facets with polyurethane foam fill in the corners, rather than bracing bent plywood. Is there a reason not to? I will use a tractrix with the speaker wall extending the mouth, which can include the entire ceiling if that is what is called for.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
If you have EIGHT fifteens, and a 30"x74" hole, there's little advantage in a horn.

*Maybe* for rock organ. However I think you should get a 30"x74" cut of 3/4" plywood, cut the eight holes, and try it. (I have done 500-head venues with less woofer.)

No, you are misunderstanding--the room is about 14x16 but it adjoins a bathroom about 6x12 and the doorway is 30x74. I just added that detail for completeness, it doesn't matter much. Total of ten 15" (2 Altec and 8 RCA). These are all short throw (underhung, i.e. voice coil never protrudes from the gap) drivers designed for horn enclosures with fairly low power handling (~75 WRMS) and XMAX. The idea is to frame in the horn in the attic and remove part or all of the ceiling for the mouth. I thought a reasonable throat configuration would be an elongated hexagon with the Altecs side by side facing forward and pairs of RCAs firing up and down on the near-horizontal panels with the other four loading the same volume obliquely from the sides. I know that the non-vertical mounting can cause them to take a set (they have been stored vertically and rotated 180 degrees every six months) so I will arrange it so they can be rotated periodically (T-nuts and access to them if they don't simply speak to the entire attic from the rear, which is one of the things I hoped to get advice about).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.