Faceplate drilling advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have a 10mm thick aluminium faceplate for my preamp. I am struggling to find information on how to properly mount volume, switch, headphone and power switch controls to the frontplate. I would be OK without flushing the front for volume and input switch controls. The problem is that I cannot tighten them to 10mm faceplate as it is too thick to screw them on. I can only afford 3mm thickness to attach it to the plate properly.
Should I counterbore from the outside of the plate to allow nut to go through and tighten the whole thing? I'd need to get ~16mm for larger part of the hole. What tools do you use normally?

You can counterbore the backside to any depth you need if I am understanding your need correctly.
A drill press with mill style bits can get you there, but a mill is the more expensive and best way
Now in a pinch you could epoxy your controls to the backside If you cannot get a nut on your controls

Regards
David

Joined 2011
how to properly mount volume, switch, headphone and power switch controls to the frontplate.

IF you have a sub-panel on your chassis, the face plate could stand off it with spacers.
The controls would then mount on the sub-panel. If some of the shafts of the controls
aren't long enough, shaft extenders could be used.
2/3/4/5/6/7/8mm Aluminum Flexible Shaft Coupling Rigid Coupler Motor Connector | eBay

Otherwise, you could still mount the controls on the sub-panel, and use holes in the
face plate that are large enough to clear the bushings and mounting hardware.
Then attach the face plate directly on the sub-panel. This assumes the knobs are
large enough to cover the clearance holes in the face plate.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your suggestions.

I have hand drill at home though I am thinking on getting the drill press as it simplifies most of the drilling a lot.

Anyways, since rayma mentioned sub-panel and I don't have one, I was thinking on drilling regular hole to fit the control stick through and on the inside have a small plate (sub-panel) to attach the switch and volume controls. I was also surprised to have only 3mm, I have following rotary switch and stepped attenuator:

Lorlin ck1035

and

DACT Type 21 Stepped Attenuator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.