Faceplate drilling for RGB LED

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

Anyone here have any experience with faceplate LEDs?
I'm looking to put a single LED in the faceplate of a dissipante chassis, 10mm thick plate, and would like to know what others have done for a flush finish. I'm thinking of using a RGB and having it fit either flush or recessed a bit and would like the cleanest finish look to it and would like to know what LED and moreso what kind of drawings or info to provide the manufacturer.

Thanks
S

Might want to practice on something that doesn’t matter to get the desired effect.

I like using a clear epoxy as a lens in aluminum, with a light source behind it. Can drill the hole, fill it with epoxy, drill again a bit from the back to create a more uniform surface, then install an led and see what it looks like.
A small piece of something like wax paper covering the hole on the appearance side, held with tape, will make a shiny surface on your new lense when using a clear epoxy. May help to have something apply pressure so the epoxy stays flush or just under the panel depth, wouldn’t want it proud of the panel surface probably.

Stand the tubes/cans of epoxy in warm water to warm it up so it flows easily & bubbles escape.
Overfill the hole so it creates a dome and it will dry clear/smooth: not so overfull that it runs over your panel.
If you under-fill the hole; as the resin hardens, it will shrink & have rough finish.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.