Output Transformer Placement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Question:

I am assembling a stereo tube amplifier. Can I put (2) GXSE15-8K output transformers literally stacked on top of each other on opposite sides of a chassis skin without creating flux interference? Said another way, I would like to mount OT's to the same spot on the chassis in a mirrored (opposing) configuration. Or perhaps less desirably, could I mount these opposing... but then rotate one 90 degrees horizontally (so bobbins face different directions)?

For instance, the guy in this video seems to have mounted PT's exactly as I just mentioned: YouTube

From what I gather, I would induce hum if I put OT's side by side where bobbins parallel each other and point in same direction. Again, I read there'll be issues even if I put them side by side with one bobbin turned 90 degrees, in a perpendicular configuration. Side by side is bad, from what I gather. So the opposed mounting is a thought to minimize footprint and hum. The power transformer is a toroidal and will not be a factor. Thoughts?

Last edited:
The hum he is demonstrating isn’t coming from the two OT’s proximity to one another, it’s coming from the choke that he is manipulating near them. OT’s can induce signal on one another but the signal won’t be hum unless you put hum through one of them. If the PT and chokes are far from the OT’s you will be safe with putting them in almost any orientation except with the bobbins facing each other. I prefer having them be parallel to one another with some distance between, but the mounting plane doesn’t really matter.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
As inductors for passive xover?

Attachments

• PLACEMENT coils_9 TROELS GRAVESSEN.gif
    PLACEMENT coils_9 TROELS GRAVESSEN.gif
    31.7 KB · Views: 468
I've got more questions now, especially after seeing that graphic. Does number 8 refer to literally stacking ei transformers on top of each other? That was one of my ideas.

Does that graphic refer to toroidal transformers with the doughnuts? I was under the impression I didn't have to worry about toroidal placements. In fact, I was considering stacking a toroidal choke under the toroidal power transformer. Issue?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I've got more questions now, especially after seeing that graphic. Does number 8 refer to literally stacking ei transformers on top of each other? That was one of my ideas.

Does that graphic refer to toroidal transformers with the doughnuts? I was under the impression I didn't have to worry about toroidal placements. In fact, I was considering stacking a toroidal choke under the toroidal power transformer. Issue?

No, the pic is refering to xover inductors.

That graphic shows inductors wound on a round bobbin. These are not like a toroidal transformer. For one, the winding directions are different between the two (toroidal transformers have the winding wrapped around the band, going from ID to OD with each turn, whereas these inductors are typically wound around the outside circumference). Second, toroidal transformer placement is less critical because the secondary winding is wrapped around the inner primary. It’s due to the shielding behavior, not the shape, that makes the transformer less magnetically reactive to its neighbors.

So I am at the more advanced stage of designing a spud amplifier. The chassis is a wider left to right. The board will go on the left or right end. Which makes more sense? Should I have the PT/choke next to board, or OT's next to board?

Like so:

Board | PT/choke | OT's
or
Board |OT's | PT/choke

Also, what are desired distances between said components?

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.