Cabinet Rejuvenation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As I have mentioned in a previous post I am 'restoring' a pair of 1985 Tannoy Jupiter J40 Mk2 speakers (that I have had in my loft for a while). After dealing with a woofer and wiring issues I am turning my attention to rejuvenating the cabinets.

Whilst I generally am pretty good with woodwork, my area of expertise tends to be in building stuff as opposed to getting a good finish on it, therefore I am a little unsure how best to tackle the cabinets so would appreciate some advice / tips especially on which products to use.

Given that they are 34 years old they are generally in pretty good shape, no chips, split corners or cracks. Damage is limited to a few surface scratches, a circle where someone has put a cup / glass on it and a bit of discolouration (possibly caused by moisture).

The cabinets are solid birch ply with a walnut veneer (according to the manual).

My plan was to start by giving them a good clean – not sure what with though so any suggestions would be gratefully received.

After cleaning I thought I would give them a light sanding with a light grit paper all over working a bit harder over any scratches and blemishes – whilst being carefully not to go through the veneer. Is this a good idea? If not what other options are there?

Finally refinish. I have no idea what to use here I have read Danish oil (I hate that stuff – it stinks), what would have been used when they were new? Danish oil in my experience takes several days before it stops being tacky. Or a wax or a polish? Or all? Really could do with some advice on this.

Thanks in advance!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.