Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Cabinet front wall thickness - solid wood
Cabinet front wall thickness - solid wood
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2019, 01:44 PM   #1
BrockLanders is offline BrockLanders  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Default Cabinet front wall thickness - solid wood

Hello!

I'm planning to build speaker cabinets from solid oak. This is my second project, my first one was this: Cube shaped speakers

This time I'm going to use Strassacker enclosure design: Mark 9
Except for all other walls I will use 20mm solid oak panel and for the "design effect" I will use 30mm solid oak panel for the front wall - description of those oak panels is here: Edge glued oak panels | Stragendo - Wood Glued Panels, Lumber, Timber in Tallinn

I know all the drawbacks of solid wood vs birch plywood, but plywood just looks ugly and I don't want to paint my speakers, I really love the look of natural solid wood. I got my inspiration from here: Taipuu Speakers - Taipuu Speakers

My question is - if I will use 30mm front panel, then do I have to use the driver cutout design like Erich's Hartmann's bookshelf box uses? Alpair 10 Gold | Markaudio
It is milling of the inner side of the driver cutout hole wall to 20 degree angle. I suppose it is necessary, because otherwise the driver's back side would be too deep inside the cabinet wall and that would alter he characteristics of the speaker?

Thank you for the help!

Cabinet front wall thickness - solid woodHide this!Advertise here!