Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Safe to replace these wires (internal amplifier wiring)?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2019, 04:48 PM   #1
ThatDavid is offline ThatDavid
diyAudio Member

Default Safe to replace these wires (internal amplifier wiring)?

Hi,
currently in the process of renovating a HK6500, i have disassembled it as much as it would go and i noticed the internal wiring for both power and audio signal is done using these kinda wires (pic). They are plastic insulated, solid core with what seems like tin jacket. I am not sure on the core, it's gray and bendy, so probably aluminium.
I cut some of them off thinking they were normal stranded wiring that i can resolder together afterwards but i doubt ill be able to join them together.
They are AWG18, would it be a good idea to replace them with stranded copper wiring? For the sake of lower impedance and resistance as well as QoL when putting the amp together (these ones are super stiff and the insulation seems to be severely heat degraded).
What would you guys recommend?
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190117_184019__01.jpg (526.1 KB, 129 views)
Old 17th January 2019, 06:31 PM   #2
richie00boy is offline richie00boy  United Kingdom
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

If they are severely heat degraded I would book to replace with PTFE or silicone covered wire.
Old 17th January 2019, 06:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie00boy View Post
If they are severely heat degraded I would book to replace with PTFE or silicone covered wire.
They are degraded in a way where the plastic is really stiff and shows light cracks in tight bends.
So i guess PET or silicone wire would be better, though i can't find the appropriate colors (the internal wiring is differentiated with colors like BLK, RED and GRN)
Old 17th January 2019, 09:50 PM   #4
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Audio wiring is almost invariably tinned copper. Not Aluminum. Tinned copper is of course silvery color, but solders easy with mild flux.

I can't tell if your sample is single-core or a shielded cable. Shield cable sometimes has aluminized mylar wrap. You don't try to solder to that, there is a drain wire (again usually tinned copper) which is your connection.
Old 18th January 2019, 08:45 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRR View Post
Audio wiring is almost invariably tinned copper. Not Aluminum. Tinned copper is of course silvery color, but solders easy with mild flux.

I can't tell if your sample is single-core or a shielded cable. Shield cable sometimes has aluminized mylar wrap. You don't try to solder to that, there is a drain wire (again usually tinned copper) which is your connection.
Hmm
Ill test it with dilluted nitric acid and see if it turns blue/green.
Old 18th January 2019, 01:16 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

So seems like tinned copper indeed. I used my microscope and there is a bit of coppery color in the center. There is no mylar wrap though. It's just solid piece of tin with tinned copper in the center. Never seen such a wire before, but i guess the impedance shouldnt be too bad if it's copper after all.

Safe to replace these wires (internal amplifier wiring)?Hide this!Advertise here!