Safe to replace these wires (internal amplifier wiring)?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
currently in the process of renovating a HK6500, i have disassembled it as much as it would go and i noticed the internal wiring for both power and audio signal is done using these kinda wires (pic). They are plastic insulated, solid core with what seems like tin jacket. I am not sure on the core, it's gray and bendy, so probably aluminium.
I cut some of them off thinking they were normal stranded wiring that i can resolder together afterwards but i doubt ill be able to join them together.
They are AWG18, would it be a good idea to replace them with stranded copper wiring? For the sake of lower impedance and resistance as well as QoL when putting the amp together (these ones are super stiff and the insulation seems to be severely heat degraded).
What would you guys recommend?
Thanks! :)

Attachments

• IMG_20190117_184019__01.jpg
    IMG_20190117_184019__01.jpg
    526.1 KB · Views: 198
If they are severely heat degraded I would book to replace with PTFE or silicone covered wire.

They are degraded in a way where the plastic is really stiff and shows light cracks in tight bends.
So i guess PET or silicone wire would be better, though i can't find the appropriate colors (the internal wiring is differentiated with colors like BLK, RED and GRN)

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Audio wiring is almost invariably tinned copper. Not Aluminum. Tinned copper is of course silvery color, but solders easy with mild flux.

I can't tell if your sample is single-core or a shielded cable. Shield cable sometimes has aluminized mylar wrap. You don't try to solder to that, there is a drain wire (again usually tinned copper) which is your connection.

Audio wiring is almost invariably tinned copper. Not Aluminum. Tinned copper is of course silvery color, but solders easy with mild flux.

I can't tell if your sample is single-core or a shielded cable. Shield cable sometimes has aluminized mylar wrap. You don't try to solder to that, there is a drain wire (again usually tinned copper) which is your connection.
Hmm
Ill test it with dilluted nitric acid and see if it turns blue/green.

So seems like tinned copper indeed. I used my microscope and there is a bit of coppery color in the center. There is no mylar wrap though. It's just solid piece of tin with tinned copper in the center. Never seen such a wire before, but i guess the impedance shouldnt be too bad if it's copper after all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.