Removing connector corrosion?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Some say Deoxit is OK. I never used it. I use WD40 and a soft toothbrush. The WD40 is applied to the toothbrush. Afterwards I clean with Isopropyl alcohol.

There was a very good german audiophile contactspray in the nineties (smelled terrible though) but I forgot its name...

Edit: found it. It was and is Contaclean from Cramolin. Very good stuff then. Since I forgot its name I never bought it again. Your post made me remember it. Funny ;)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Older BNC connectors are mostly nickel plated brass with teflon isolation. Not much can go wrong but you don't want a sticky film on them. Silver plated are more difficult to clean.

More recent BNC chassis mount connectors are eh.. anymetal so a mix of scrap metal. Here the plating comes off and then only replacing them for MIL specced stuff is recommended. Don't be surprised if you find MIL specced NOS connectors for less money than recently produced consumer stuff. Always look for replacements that are able to withstand a minimum of 500 mating cycles like types produced by Radiall or Amphenol.

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
J-P, you just dated yourself ;-) I also remember Cramolin, it was a 2-compound mix, I bought it in US I think end of the 1980-ies...

These connectors are on an AP so undoubtedly good quality. They are dull looking as if dust is on it, only it is not dust but part of the surface. It starts to become better after every mating but I'd like to get rid of it quickly. Impatient ;-)

I'll check out WD40.

Edit: what about CRC? I think we had that in the Air Force.

Edit2: Deoxit is from Caig labs, the same manu as Cramolin...

Jan

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Last edited:
I would try acetone since that is likely the active ingredient in any successful product.
First test it on the plastic portion to be certain that it will be compatible, or refrain from dousing anything. I have used a toothpick soaked in acetone to scrub the inside of small connectors.

Some of the contact cleaners leave a film, and that might not be too bad for a connector that’s prone to corrosion. WD40 I have not figured out too many uses other than temporarily displacing moisture, not a very good lubricant, not a very good cleaner either.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.