Replacing Pots on a circuit board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!
I recently acquired a Peavey Delta Blues guitar amp and it needs 6 of its 9 pots replaced. They are either out of tolerance or rotate infinitely. These pots are elevated above the circuit board on legs that solder into holes on the board. I am trying to formulate a strategy for removing these pots with a minimal amount of wear/tear on the board. Would you recommend clipping the legs of the pot and desoldering one leg at a time-cleaning the hole for the new pot at the same time? That seems to me to be a good way to avoid overheating the circuit traces. Also, let me add that this amp uses a 3 section circuit board that is connected together by bare wires that serve as the filament heaters for the tubes. This means that the board assembly is very fragile and must be treated with extreme care. I will attempt to post a link to some pictures of the amp. Let me know if you have a preferred method of attempting this type of repair. Thank you!

Peavey Delta Blues - Album on Imgur

Yes you can clip the leads to make it easier for removal. if you don't want to invest in a rework station then a solder pump and solder wick works just fine.

I did recently discover that if you take a flux pen and wipe flux on each side of the solder wick it prevents the copper from oxidizing and the wick works better on those stubborn plated through holes.

I did repairs on musical gear for 8 years and never had a rework station.

Edit: Come to think of it I did have one but never used it. It was a pita because the nosil plugged up every ten minute. Maybe they have improved since then.

Last edited:
Peavey will sell you the exact pots.

I never had a problem removing them, I use my Pace desoldering station. Prior to that I used the metal tube with the **** it and press the button plunger thing. Worked great.

I always have a piece of piano wire next to my desoldering station to poke out the hollow nozzle when it needs it.

Hi Dkevin

The pots are damaged anyway and so you don't have to take any care with them. The intention is to save the pcb. So cutting the pot legs very carefully is what I would do, then use a soldering iron and fine pliers to take the rest of the pins from the board. Clean the holes up using a solder sucker or braid.

However, be careful with a solder sucker as they can exert significant suction and lift tracks. Better to use them at a slight angle to the board so that it sucks in mainly air which takes the hot solder with it.

Cheers

Mike

A lot has happened since I last posted. I cut the legs from the pots and removed the legs from the circuit board with no drama. I used a solder sucker to clear the hole and used the wire of a 1 watt resistor to ensure the holes were open.
Pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/kC0vvyH[/URL]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.