Loudspeaker with storage compartment: How to stop inner vibrations?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, I'm new to the world of DIY Audio but am very excited for my first loudspeaker build :)

I'm making a fairly large cabinet (30cm wide x 45cm tall) with a square top and bottom. I have all the components I need to build it, and have cut the MDF but there's one thing I'd like to work out before I start putting things together.

I'm going to have a storage section in the cabinet, it will be in a separate compartment from to drivers and will open at the back (for storing audio accessories and whatever else)

I'm concerned about vibrations coming from the inside of the cabinet, in case I were to have vibration sensitive items in the storage area. I still haven't decided what material to use for dampening. It's quite important that there is NO vibrations in the storage compartment, but I don't want to sacrifice audio quality because of material choice.

If you guys have any recommendations/ideas for my query it will be greatly appreciated!

Happy listening and good luck with any builds or modifications you guys do! :wave:

Last edited:
I wouldn´t store vibration sensitive elements inside of a speaker cabinet.

Or I would build it out of concrete.

Pick one :)

Guess I'll have to go with concrete :up:

All joking aside, is there no way I can use vibration dampening materials or thicker MDF Surrounded the storage compartment?

It doesn't have to be completely vibration proof but that would be ideal, I'd like to reduce vibration as much as possible. Thanks! :)

A bit of an unusual design - but you build what you want to build ;)

if you cast a concrete slab in the base of the storage area, anything you put on it will not be vibrating very much !
I may also help reduce the resonance of the cavity
Be careful, damp concrete will make the mdf swell - you could use a resin and stone mix maybe

a note for the future - try not to make your driver enclosures square, differing dimensions help against standing waves and resonance

good luck !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.