Danger of polyurethane adhesive

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There is no odour. How critical is ventilation...

Isocyanate are about as toxic as the name would imply, like cyanide.
But adhesives should be reasonably safe, the isocyanate component has low volatility, main problem would be any solvent, take normal solvent precautions.
Try to avoid skin contact of course, Isocyanate would react with skin rather than be absorbed but there is probably some risk of sensitization.
I must admit I have had occasional drips and I have not had, or know anyone with, problems.
Sprayed Polyurethane paint is obviously much worse than a smear of adhesive, full precautions required for that.

Best wishes
David

Last edited:
You can become sensitized to certain compounds through repeated contact, probably not an issue for hobby usage, low amounts of adhesives.

I had worked when I was 20 years old at a company that painted airplane parts, for a year or so, and developed an issue with certain paints. Now, 30 years later, I still can’t go near the stuff.
The effects range from an intense high for a day that will be followed by a hangover like effect that can last for up to a week. Or just a swollen face, around the eyes, headaches.

It is likely the isocyanide that is used in polyurethane based products that does this, so you have been warned! Wish I would have known...

You could get opinions here or look on the web for the material safety data sheet. Yes some U.S. protection laws are really useful. If the product is not sold in the U.S. then look for an equivalent product that is.

What you can't see can't harm you according to some. I want so see them cross the street with their eyes closed.

Fully agree with Simon7000:

The only reliable safety information will be available from the manufacturer MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet), which is often available directly via their website. The composition of almost every Polyurethane product is different, and is usually only known, in full, by the manufacturer, hence the need to rely upon an accurate MSDS (and any product datasheets, which may be available).

If the product concerned is indeed a one-part (poly)methylenediphenyl- diisocyanate based adhesive, as the OP's post suggests, then it is likely to be relatively straightforward to handle and use safely in a consumer environment, with the right (MSDS specified) precautions.

As mentioned above: two component adhesives can be very aggressive before and during mixing, then when fully cured become very neutral and stable.

Not much experience with polyurethane adhesives but work every day with different kinds of Epoxy: I wouldn´t let an enemy taste a spoonful of any of its components out of the can ... would/do have no problem in repairing a cooking pot, spoon, even a cup, and sip some Tea or Coffee brewed in it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.