DIY speaker stands

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good evening, everybody!

I'm new to this whole musical affair.
For the time being I have a pair of Mission 751 bookshelf speakers connected to a tube amp. I'm considering a DIY speaker stands project, because I don't want to invest too much in the stands and nothing I've seen within reasonable price matches the style of my apartment.

I thought about an open design, meaning two panels of oak wood (top and bottom) connected with 4 full metal rods (12mm in diameter). Inside the rectangle created by the rods I want to place some sand bags.
My main concern is the possible resonance of the rods induced by the speakers.
Since I have no experience with hi-fi audio, I need some help..

Thank you! :) :worship:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Depending on length, the rod resonance may be small, inaudible.

If you set sandbags leaning against the rods, resonance may be near zero. (Try tapping the rods both ways.)

Without sandbags, I would be tempted to try 13mm holes in the oak and a rubbery glue so the rods are held firmly but with some cushion.

Hi Zenzaman,

I used something similar a few years ago. I used threaded rod (I think it was M8) from my local DIY store and used washers and M8 nuts on the threaded rods to hold the shelf parts in place. I didn't use any damping between the two wooden plates, but it worked very well.

Regards

Mike

Instead of sand, use talcum powder. I have tried with inflatable balloons as containers. Wood isn't good but generally no good method exists for allocating a speaker attached. Much much better is to isolate the speaker( and the speakers by themselves) by elastic principle, as a "dynamic" speaker needs it

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.