Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Wood screws vs wellnuts vs T-nuts
Wood screws vs wellnuts vs T-nuts
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2018, 06:38 PM   #1
jmansion is offline jmansion  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Wood screws vs wellnuts vs T-nuts

I'd always assumed that T-nuts or well-nuts would be the way to go, but I have a cabinet (doesn't have a front) that is the right volume for a driver I'd like to use and the chassis will sit inside - but there is not enough clearance to place t-nuts or well-nuts.

On the other hand, I guess I can reinforce the walls somewhat and the back of the front piece, and use wood screws.

Is it likely to be a problem?
Old 13th October 2018, 07:21 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Maybe you could post some photos to clarify what exactly you're dealing with? I'm personally not a fan of T-nuts, and had to look up wellnut fastener - I'd be worried about how securely those would hold - of course I'm guessing that would depend on the type and thickness of substrate into which it would be fitted. If you're talking about fixed wood baffles too thin for an external threaded insert fitting, I'd be inclined to drill pilot holes and use coarse thread sheet metal screws. Of course, there's a limit to the number of times such a driver can be installed and removed using any type of screw in a wood baffle before the core is at risk of being stripped.
Old 13th October 2018, 07:41 PM   #3
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

There may be problems getting a good grip in MDF. Use of a parallel shank screw is recommended for both MDF and plywood. Make the screw as long as possible rather than fat. Reinforcing behind the panel to give something more for the screws to grip into may be a good idea. For a more permanent fix in MDF you can put a few drops of PVA wood glue into the pilot hole.
Old 13th October 2018, 08:23 PM   #4
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

P.S. I know wellnuts as 'Rawlnuts'. These are commonly used for attaching thin items to panels - a bathroom cabinet to a hollow plasterboard wall for example.

Provided your loudspeaker mounting flange is thin, then Rawlnuts would do the job - I can't see why you couldn't use them?? However, you must choose ones of an appropriate length. A Rawlnut will allow you to remove and replace the speaker without having to replace the fixing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rawlnut Rubber Fixing.jpg (5.0 KB, 88 views)
Old 14th October 2018, 01:21 AM   #5
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Wood screws through loudspeakers can warp the speaker rim.
I always use bolts with washers or t-nuts to spread the load.

If you rotate the speaker 45 degrees the t-nuts will go in OK.

Wood screws vs wellnuts vs T-nutsHide this!Advertise here!