Chassis ground

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
What's the best single point to connect the signal ground to chassis ground: input RCA signal ground or 1st capacitors mains PSU?

What's the best grounding: mains GND & signal ground togheter at a single point of chassis or separate with two points, one for AC safety ground & the other for signal GND?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thanks Ben, your linked paper said: "The signal return is bonded to the chassis through a single connection from the power supply 0V to the metal chassis" Rob from DHTRob does attached pic and I read for example Elliot Sound that shares the same chassis point signal GND & signal GND trought a SLB attached pic so still confused what's the proper way.

Attachments

• Earthing dialog for capacitors DHT ROB.gif
    Earthing dialog for capacitors DHT ROB.gif
    6.3 KB · Views: 410
  • Ground Loop Breaker.gif
    Ground Loop Breaker.gif
    5.7 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Here Rod Elliot earthing the mains PSU to chassis.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

ValveWizard uses separate points to signal GND and safety mains AC earth, also says to take the input RCA signal ground to chassis in place of 1st cap mains AC filter PSU indicated in other places.

http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/Grounding.pdf

It's really so complicate to know what's the correct way, I'm puzzled.

Joined 2012
Paid Member

Attachments

• ground.jpg
    ground.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 320
Last edited by a moderator:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Interesting Jensen paper, not as the usually posted, specially page 13 showing how to test the kind of noise in page 13

http://web.mit.edu/jhawk/tmp/p/EST016_Ground_Loops_handout.pdf

Well, done the test and result is no:

Common-impedance coupling in unbalanced cables (vast majority of problems)
Magnetic or electrostatic pickup by cable of nearby fields
Common-impedance coupling inside defective equipment

Grounding done as attached schematic of Rod Elliot.

Attachments

• Ground Loop Breaker.gif
    Ground Loop Breaker.gif
    5.7 KB · Views: 299
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The diode bridge connection to ground in the diagram that you posted does not agree with the connection shown in the article that I referenced in my posts: Another ground lift connection: DC Servos

This is in agreement with the arrangement shown in my previous post and also as shown in the Valve Wizard article that you referenced in one of your earlier posts.

Attachments

• ground lift.jpg
    ground lift.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 231
The safety ground connection to chassis and the signal ground connection must be two separate chassis connections. On that we should all agree.

The best place to make the signal ground connection depends on all sort of things, so if you are looking for a foolproof recipe I am afraid you might not find it. In the case of a power amplifier the input sockets may be a good place. For a phono preamp it could be the output sockets. For a line stage who knows?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thank you very much, your answer let me know all my questions.

N.B. Is a phono preamp so I will chassis grriund at the output RCA signal ground.

The diode bridge connection to ground in the diagram that you posted does not agree with the connection shown in the article that I referenced in my posts: Another ground lift connection: DC Servos

This is in agreement with the arrangement shown in my previous post and also as shown in the Valve Wizard article that you referenced in one of your earlier posts.

Here shows like Rod Elliot schematic:
How to Design and Build an Amplifier With the TDA2050 - Circuit Basics
EasyEDA - A Simple and Powerful Electronic Circuit Design Tool

I have used this connection method for 20 years. It is easy and reliable. I happen to have a bag full of X2 caps with 4.7nF value, but anything from 4.7nF to 0.1uF will work well. I would recommend an X2 or Y2 cap for this.

I also ground the earth right at the input RCA signal ground or as close as you can to it.

Attachments

• Earth Ground_Signal Ground.jpg
    Earth Ground_Signal Ground.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 175
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.