Changing exterior of loudspeakers that have wood venneer on - possible or not?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
' Need to consider changing the exterior of my B&W Matrix 805 (yes, due to strong WAF headwinds). These are the original model from the '90s and AFAIK it should be real wood veneer (black ash) that is on. Options may be different veneer as well as good high-gloss paint job. Inquiring around I got confused if it may be possible to be done without ruining its appearance and function ultimately. Any experiences, advice, pointers ... are welcome. Tnx!

No contest! Do a trade-in on the wife!

Seriously I don't think the character of the outer skin will affect the sound (duck!), so they could be filled, sanded and painted. I would only do this with the drivers and stuffing out of the box, though.

My B&W 603 S2 floor-standers are 20 years old but still immaculate in Cherry veneer - but them I am ancient and have real wood furniture and flooring.

I changed to all white cabinets in my listening room and my Overture 3 speakers are black veneer. I used white contact paper (good quality vinyl shelf liner) and it works perfectly. Pretty easy to do and easy to remove without any issues at all. Its just sticky enough to stay in place and leaves no residue if you want to change colors. I just have to change the grill cloth to match...

Last edited:
I changed to all white cabinets in my listening room and my Overture 3 speakers are black veneer. I used white contact paper (good quality vinyl shelf liner) and it works perfectly. Pretty easy to do and easy to remove without any issues at all. Its just sticky enough to stay in place and leaves no residue if you want to change colors. I just have to change the grill cloth to match...
Tnx. The reason I asked is that few builders suggested removing the veneer still leaves traces of glue in the wood, and thus good makeover results are less probable. Initially, I thought of high gloss white, but ... My latest thoughts were to use some quality vinyl (3M or so) and ask an experience car makeover master to wrap it!

No contest! Do a trade-in on the wife!

Seriously I don't think the character of the outer skin will affect the sound (duck!), so they could be filled, sanded and painted. I would only do this with the drivers and stuffing out of the box, though.

My B&W 603 S2 floor-standers are 20 years old but still immaculate in Cherry veneer - but them I am ancient and have real wood furniture and flooring.
I am not that young myself :S , so I am totally on that side. But having a rather small flat (and usually there is always need for one more room, no?), such compromises are a given. Keeping the wife AND the music does not sound like a bad option at this point (still) :) . I've thought of building completely new cabinets, but the Matrix boxes are a bit particular on the inside.

You could ask your dear wife to choose some nice looking acoustically transparent fabric to drape over the speakers. Instant happiness.

I really did post an honest and reasonable inquiry for assistance assuming knowledge and experience in a wider community - not an impossible one. Let’s agree that different people have different priorities in life. Solutions to challenges are certainly driven by those and circusmtances affecting you. I am lucky enough to be able to appreciate good music, affiord solid audio equipment and have someone there for me - many are not that lucky.

In the old days, when I was young, think 50 years ago, I saw furniture/cabinet makers (callingb them "carpenters" would have been a mild insut) routinely replace worn/damaged/loose veneer by blowing steam at it , softening hide glue which was the classic adhesive used, repairing surface as needed (sanding/filling) and re-covering with new veneer.

Then they finished it by tamping surface with a small cloth bag filled with some fine white dust (chalk?) and later patiently hand rubbing some resin like dark orange flakes dissolved in some kind of alcohol.
Maybe not so extended today, but people with similar skills must still be available locally.

Unless adhesive used is some vile modern invention, impossible to soften or dissolve, that is.

In the old days, when I was young, think 50 years ago, I saw furniture/cabinet makers (callingb them "carpenters" would have been a mild insut) routinely replace worn/damaged/loose veneer by blowing steam at it , softening hide glue which was the classic adhesive used, repairing surface as needed (sanding/filling) and re-covering with new veneer.

Then they finished it by tamping surface with a small cloth bag filled with some fine white dust (chalk?) and later patiently hand rubbing some resin like dark orange flakes dissolved in some kind of alcohol.
Maybe not so extended today, but people with similar skills must still be available locally.

Unless adhesive used is some vile modern invention, impossible to soften or dissolve, that is.

Thanks JM. I will see if I can find more how B&W was doing it during 90's.

Lost in translation

I really did post an honest and reasonable inquiry for assistance assuming knowledge and experience in a wider community - not an impossible one. Let’s agree that different people have different priorities in life. Solutions to challenges are certainly driven by those and circusmtances affecting you. I am lucky enough to be able to appreciate good music, affiord solid audio equipment and have someone there for me - many are not that lucky.

Hi congole. Perhaps there is something lost in translation here. I was giving you a completely honest and considered appraisal of your technical problem by way of a pragmatic (albeit) non technical answer.

Stripping off and replacing veneer is a real pig of a skilled job that could take weeks of work. If that is what you want to do then fine go ahead, but if you have got the money why bother? On the other hand, if you really like the speakers as they are, and you want to please your wife, then a couple of nice pieces of fabric draped over them would help a lot to make the room look nice.

More or less in the same way I am being nice to you.

Hi congole. Perhaps there is something lost in translation here. I was giving you a completely honest and considered appraisal of your technical problem by way of a pragmatic (albeit) non technical answer.

Stripping off and replacing veneer is a real pig of a skilled job that could take weeks of work. If that is what you want to do then fine go ahead, but if you have got the money why bother? On the other hand, if you really like the speakers as they are, and you want to please your wife, then a couple of nice pieces of fabric draped over them would help a lot to make the room look nice.

More or less in the same way I am being nice to you.

Hi T. It probably was so - to me it sounded more like a "put a cloth on it so it is hidden". I am not a native English speaker (though it has/had not really failed me for the last 30years). I know this remodeling would not be a job for the heart fainted, which is why was considering engaging someone skilled, but wanted to know if it makes sense at all "before it is too late".

Hi T. It probably was so - to me it sounded more like a "put a cloth on it so it is hidden". I am not a native English speaker (though it has/had not really failed me for the last 30years). I know this remodeling would not be a job for the heart fainted, which is why was considering engaging someone skilled, but wanted to know if it makes sense at all "before it is too late".

Hi congole. Yes, I can see and understand now what you are saying.

As you obviously have the money, and are willing to pay someone skilled enough to do the work - then go ahead! Sounds like you really like the speakers and love your wife.

Anyway, back on topic. The existing veneers can/could easily be steamed off and removed with a palette knife. Remaining glue can then be removed using a cabinet scraper - much better than sandpaper. Then maybe a new veneer, or a custom paint job. In the right hands, the speakers will be transformed. What you want is entirely reasonable and doable.

Sorry, I sometimes forget that other people have real money to spend.

Hi congole. Yes, I can see and understand now what you are saying.

As you obviously have the money, and are willing to pay someone skilled enough to do the work - then go ahead! Sounds like you really like the speakers and love your wife.

Anyway, back on topic. The existing veneers can/could easily be steamed off and removed with a palette knife. Remaining glue can then be removed using a cabinet scraper - much better than sandpaper. Then maybe a new veneer, or a custom paint job. In the right hands, the speakers will be transformed. What you want is entirely reasonable and doable.

Sorry, I sometimes forget that other people have real money to spend.

Tnx for the insight. I guess I was lucky enough to acquire these for a rather good price, so I could invest in the remodeling (and I am pretty sure that this kind of skilled work would cost much less around here than in Scotland).

Tnx for the insight. I guess I was lucky enough to acquire these for a rather good price, so I could invest in the remodeling (and I am pretty sure that this kind of skilled work would cost much less around here than in Scotland).

Yes, there certainly are certainly skilled workers where I live, but they tend to be creative artisans doing expensive one offs, rather than working in the trades. Very few people now work with their hands here in the U.K. and those who do are mostly from Eastern Europe - bless them.

Is this the speaker in question?
Could you just change the grill cloth?
Maybe it's the yellow cone that is her eyesore? More specific info on your WAF parameters and history is needed...

Attachments

• b&x matrix 805 black.jpg
    b&x matrix 805 black.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 168
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.