Changing exterior of loudspeakers that have wood venneer on - possible or not?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If the veneer is still in good shape and firmly attached you could try veneering right on top of it using contact cement.I have done this in the past with no problems

I think you are right. The problem with stripping off the original veneer is that if there is a problem with what lies beneath, then it becomes a one way rescue job.

A new veneer on top of an already good surface is the way to go - providing the original veneer has not been oiled (which I doubt)

If it has previously been shellacked as a factory finish, then it could easily be removed by dissolving in methylated spirit, followed by cabinet scraping.

Factory finish on real wood veneer would well have been a polyurethane / acrylic, as opposed to solvent based ( lacquer or shellac). An easy way test for that would be with lacquer thinners on an inconspicuous spot (bottom). Unless you intend to re-veneer, or the existing is damaged, I’d be inclined to simply sand the top coat with 220G, then paint as richie00boy suggested. To fully fill the grain pores, you’d probably want a couple of coats of high solids primer before colour and top coats.

Well, having veneered and re-veneered / refurbished more than a few pairs of new DIY and vintage speakers, I’d certainly agree that it’d be easy enough to do that - although I’d generally espouse the use of flexible paper backed veneer, and iron-on glue technique. But from the OP’s initial and subsequent posts, I’d inferred that he was interested in getting rid of the look of wood grain pores. That’d also be not a particularly difficult process, although a really high quality ( i.e. “piano grade”) paint finish can be very time consuming, and the materials could easily cost more than a new sheet of veneer and finishing materials.

..........although a really high quality ( i.e. “piano grade”) paint finish can be very time consuming............

I once did an almost 'piano finish' varnishing of a wooden kayak. It took six coats and six weeks to complete. I say almost, as to get the real thing would have taken another six coats.

Quite an experience. First, wet and dry sanding of the entire structure, followed by misting the entire workshop with water to knock out any dust. Leave to dry out over night. Next day coating with dilute varnish using a foam brush. Leave to dry for five days before starting again, gradually working through the sandpaper grades up to 2000 grit. Yes, quite an experience. Not sure if I would do the same thing with a speaker cabinet.

P-lam can get to be a bit fussy on cabinets with the shape of the speakers posted in photos a few posts back, and requires a little bit of practice, laminate trimmer router and bits, and is particularly “fun” if mid-bass drivers are flush mounted with a shallow rebate. Oh yes, a bit messy too. The only way to avoid the tell tale brown line of phenolic backer at edges is to use solid color through types, which are much more costly, and a royal pain to work with.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, that is the speaker type in subject. And the black exterior is the problem (e.g. white would be accepted).

You haven't shown us the space they're going into, but in general an all-black low contrast appearance is visually smaller -- some might even say slimming!
I think your speakers would end up looking visually fussy if the cabinet color contrasts with the black tweeter housing, port, and woofer basket (not to mention the yellow cone:eek:)

Plam can also look very nice, is available in many colors and finishes, and is very durable compared to graphics films.
The edges can be carefully sanded if a trim router isn’t available.
Yes, the nice, colorcore2 is $300 for a 4’ X 10’ sheet, may be able to find something smaller.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.