Hammond aluminum enclosure bracing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I love using the aluminum hammond enclosures because I can get them in the sizes I need, they are easy to drill, and they come in bare metal (which is nice when I want to powder coat). The issue with these enclosures is that i am limited on the weight that I can put on top. I am about to build some monoblocks (6c33c) that will have some very heavy transformers (the chokes alone are 30lbs each and each mono block will be around 60lbs). I would use the steel enclosures, but that black coating they put on is a PITA to strip!

Has anyone used these enclosures successfully with heavy transformers, and if so, what kind of bracing was used (if any)?

Joined 2011
I am about to build some monoblocks (6c33c) that will have some very heavy transformers
(the chokes alone are 30lbs each and each mono block will be around 60lbs).

I think you'd have to run steel spacers inside the chassis under each transformer mounting foot,
down to the bottom plate. If the bottom plate isn't sitting flat on a surface, also add short spacers,
one for each internal spacer, below the bottom plate as feet.

But, surely someone has unfinished steel enclosures instead.

Last edited:
Instead of all the bracing, maybe consider these chassis from Landfall Systems
I used one for a phono-stage and was very impressed by how sturdy it was. Nicely finished as well. It is aluminum and bracing is an option.
Upload doesn't seem to work for me currently so here is a link to some pics.
Landfall Hypnotoad AD797Phono Stage - Google Photos

Those are nice, but way too pricey for an aluminum box. I think I may get some really thick aluminum, some angle pieces, and round wood dowels and do something like the Fi 2a3 monoblocks, that looks so simple!

Gungir - considering the presumed costs of all the iron and associated naughty underskirt bits required for a decent tube amp, I think you'd be well served to look at something else?

A few years ago I'd commissioned a custom SET amp for EL34 from a US builder, with far less weight on the top plate than you're talking about. It wasn't until I received the piece that I discovered he reneged on his original specs for a sturdy chassis and used one of those cheap Hammonds. I'd used them myself in the past for small amp and pre-amp builds - for which they're perfectly fine- but with approx 40lbs of iron and all the through holes for tube sockets and large Solen film filter caps, and absolutely no internal bracing, the thing arrived quite nicely stoved in. He apologized with an "oops, I was worried about that", but offered no additional advice or help, and no refund of the prepaid amount.

I ended up building an all new chassis, with solid wood frame and 3mm thick aluminum plate, water jet cut and powder coated. It was quite sturdy enough for the load, and not all that awfully expensive.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.