Safely connecting thin xfmr primary wires

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I've bought myself a Nuvotem Talema 230v, 120VA toroidal transformer. The primary leads are very thin, and solid core.

What is the safest way to connect these to the spade connections on an IEC mains connector? The wires look too thin to take to a crimp connector reliably, and I've read a lot about not soldering primaries.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• transformer.JPG
    transformer.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 122
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Those do look thin.

Soldering is absolutely fine when done correctly but make sure there is no mechanical stress on the joint by preforming the wires first. Once soldered they will not flex and so will be prone to fracturing if moved. Another option is to extend the leads by soldering additional thicker wire to them and protecting the joint with one or perhaps two different sizes of heat shrink sleeving. Again make sure the final joint is not stressed.

Whenever I've needed to connect to thinner wires I have also made sure that they are mechanically fixed, then attached larger wires and also used heatshrink to cover the joint.
The essential part is to make sure that once soldered to the thicker wires, the thicker wires and joint are also mechanically fixed - you can use insulating tape, or hot melt glue or something though I've not found hot melt glue stable in the longer term, or, with adequate additional insulation to use a cable tie which can be bolted to a convenient chassis point.
For very thin wires (44 swg (0.08mm) ) I've double- and quad-backed them first, as I have found these can dissolve in the solder even with solder which is supposed to contain 1% copper. Wondering if it did.

I've faced something similar once. I fixed it with pieces of ~30mm long 2,5mm thick solid copper wire. I inserted most of it into the secondary - in my case - wires sleeve only leaving out ~10mm and I soldered it along the thin wires. Seems durable in time.

ok, thanks all. I'm leaning towards soldering, and trying to anchor the wires so they don't move too much.

The only other option I can think of is to screw the primary wires into a "choc block" and use thicker, stranded wires out the other side terminated in crimped spade connectors to attach to the IEC socket. I guess the choc block screw connection is less reliable than a directly soldered connection though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.