balanced interconnect shielding

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am trying to understand this about balanced XLR interconnects: does the shield braid connect on both ends or just source side of the cable? I am running into some conflicting information while doing research about this.

I will need 18 foot balanced interconnects (with XLRs). Please explain if possible.

thanks,
Herman

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
For one-room Hi-Fi, I would tie shield at both ends.

There's different answers because there are different situations. In a large studio the various racks may not all be on the same ground (whatever that is). In radio, lines may run across town to a place with very different ground potential, and you usually break shield.

In any case, TRY IT before you honk the screws so tight they will never come off. I'd think that in one-room Hi-Fi, trouble with bonded shield would mean some deeper problem that should be addressed.

And there are different kinds of "balanced interfaces", especially in the Hi-Fi world. Some do not play well together (except maybe in the designer's own system).

Some experts believe that the shield should always be connected at both ends.
While others think that the shield should always be connected at the send end and for longer interconnects, should use a hybrid connection at the receive end. A hybrid connection has a small RF capacitor in series rather than a direct connection.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.