Best practice for power amplifier building ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm building a nap 250 clone. I'm going to keep toroidal transformer and rectifier board in one chassis.
I can't decide if the voltage regulator board should be installed in the same chassis as amplifier board or it should be in the same chassis as rectifier board?
Will it make any difference either way? Please guide me
Many thanks
Sajjad

Joined 2011
I can't decide if the voltage regulator board should be installed in the same chassis
as amplifier board or it should be in the same chassis as rectifier board?

The safest bet is for the regulator to be in the amp chassis.
The regulator drives the entire amplifier, and you want to have
low impedance between the regulator and the amp circuit.

The regulator board also should have some added local decoupling at its input,
if it is separated from the main filter capacitors. How much decoupling is necessary
may need to be found experimentally, to keep the regulator stable.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Fully agree with rayma.

Personally, I'd just install a steel cover over the toroid if the precaution
is thought to be necessary, and keep it in the same box as the amplifier.
However, I don't recall hum ever being an issue in the Naim.

Good wiring practice goes a long way in making a quiet amp.
Twist those wires, and don't couple charging pulses into the grounding.

Last edited:
I make modular amplifiers such that I can re-use the power supply (transformer + rectifier bridge + some decoupling) when I (soon after) want new experiments. Then I split up as you advice. If it is for long term use and to be put in the living-room, one cabinet may be appreciated by the spouse and a shielded toroidal transformer rarely causes problems.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.