Unbalanced interconnect question...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone!

I'm moving towards balanced connections between my equipment and am going to build some XLR cables, but I've still got lots of unbalanced equipment too.

I was just looking at the star quad shielded 4 conductor cable, and was wondering whether I could use it as a double unbalanced interconnect with two pairs of RCAs at each side. So one blue and white pair for the left channel and the other pair for the right channel. Would this really be a disaster?

I'm sure this is a stupid idea, otherwise people would already be doing it, but could someone confirm to me that I'm an idiot and why?

Thanks!

Does star quad actually have two separate pairs (with quite different twist lengths), or does it have just one quad? I suspect the clue is in the name. Significant interchannel crosstalk may be likely. In any case, the correct cable for unbalanced is coax. Fortunately audio can be quite robust, which is why many people get away with using the wrong cable and then proclaim their mistake as some sort of improvement.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Since I've used star quad for years as microphone cable at work, scraps of it end up at home for various uses. I have used it as unbalanced stereo cable and even balanced stereo cable for stereo mics.

Yes, there will be some crosstalk. How much will depend on cable length and circuit impedance. Then it's up to you to decide if the single cable is worth the trade off. For short runs, it hasn't been a problem for me. If minimum crosstalk is important, then go with separate shielded cables or snakes.

Star-Quad is most useful for long balanced interconnects is harsh electrical environments. Like near a theatrical lighting system. All other XLR balanced interconnects should use a Shielded Twisted Pair (STP).

For RCA unbalanced interconnects the best choice is a coax with a heavy braided shield.

For RCA unbalanced interconnects the best choice is a coax with a heavy braided shield.
A good example, watch the video :

Cinch/RCA femelle, droit Telecom Security KCF Nombre total de poles: 2 1 pc(s) | Conrad.fr

image.jpg

@Mistertaz
I'm moving towards balanced connections between my equipment and am going to build some XLR cables, but I've still got lots of unbalanced equipment too.
If your components are close together or stacked, I don't think you will gain anything worthwhile, ie audibly better, from balanced cables.

I only use balanced XLR connectors for my active speakers. The balanced output from the preamp goes into an XLR wallplate and exits another wallplate next to the speakers. With RCA leads, there was a lot of interference and hiss, now nothing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.