tweeter rabbet too small, enlarge hole methods?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I cut the hole for these about a decade ago and then went to use the rabbit router bit to flush mount the tweeter and ran into the diameter being 1/8" too small. I dealt with a similar situation for maybe 1/32 to 1/16" (maybe 1-2mm) and stapled some sand paper to a circle blank from routing pout the hole and made a temporary drum sander. This wont quite work for this I am afraid.

Anyone know how to enlarge the rabbet part? the only way I can think of is to glue in a blank and route it out again... I would rather buy a tool though lol. I already got the adjustable rabbet and it is as big as it goes ( smallest bearing)

Attachments

• IMG_20180811_131450862.jpg
    IMG_20180811_131450862.jpg
    515.2 KB · Views: 175
Rabbet bit bearing

Can you change the bearing on your router bit to give it a deeper bite? I have been successful with a smaller bearing in a similar situation, so much so I bought an assortment of bearings from McMaster Carr to give me different rabbeting depths.

Couple ways out. Round base router? Make a templet that the edge of the base can ride against ... ie. piece of mdf large enough for the correct tweeter hole dia. plus half the router base measured to the mortise style bit you'll be using. Base of your router will ride on the baffle you have pictured.

Another alternative is to scribe the edge of the tweeter on to the baffle while it's setting in the hole. Sharp knife should do fine. Remove the tweeter and route to the scribe line freehand. Again, you'll be using a mortise style bit.

I'd go for the first option.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.