restoring dust cap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys advice pls. Is there any aluminumised paint that I could used to touch up the dust cap. Don't want to change them as I want to keep them in original condition. My thoughts is to spray over using air brush if I can.

Thks

Attachments

• Coral dust cap.jpg
    Coral dust cap.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 182
i suspect it will look worse if you try to paint it.

If you want it to be original, clean it and accept it is original and real.

If you want it to look new, then you will be unlikely to achieve this by painting it.

Also -if you paint it, it is likely that the resonance of the dustcap (a big thing with aluminium dustcaps) will be damped - resulting in a shift of the resonance and thus a possible effect on sound character.

Secret stuff here so please don't read any further.

Gumout carburetor cleaner in a spray can will dissolve most loudspeaker glues. It will not work on the modern PVA based ones. It is quite nasty stuff so use it in a fume hood or outside. Of course wear mask intended for such fumes.

To brighten aluminum use a small bit of sodium hydroxide in water. Use just enough to clean and then rinse completely. Otherwise it can dissolve all of the aluminum. Also known as lye, used for making soap and pretzels.

I told you not to read this. :(

The glue in the picture looks like a PVA glue.

now that sounds dangerous. lol At one time I thought about changing the dust caps but worry that I might guffed & cause more damage. Btw this speakers are Coral 10F-60 bought it since new & have kept it for many many moons. Have discovered that its really a gem amount WR speakers. Dare I say sounds even better then Coral Beta 10.

Thank you again Simon

That´s corrosion on the aluminum surface.
Since what´s important in speakers is **sound** , leave as is, period.

IF it were a sculpture or decorative object, to be looked at but NOT listened at, then you might try dangerous chemicals such as lye or some strong acid ... with the very definite possibility that fumes or minuscule splatters eat through very thin aluminum duistcap, very porous cellulose cone, destroy glues used or burn your tissue BAD if a drop touches it, so DON´T :) Serious.
And in any case no chemical will make aluminum "bright" (since they etch its surface) but, best case : "silvery dull aluminum surface".

FWIW I am speaking from experience: I commercially make amplifiers, for almost 50 years now, and have *always* made my own chassis and front/back panels out of aluminum ... which means I must treat its surface for painting, silkscreening or plain "smooth looking" instead of the crude "raw aluminum" surface of commercial aluminum sheet, and have tried them all.

In fact I *do* make surface matte/dull by degreasing and then immersing in a warm lye bath, and get a nice satin finish ... but we are talking of 1.5mm to 3mm aluminum sheet.
There you have 0.1mm stamped sheet ......

And not all aluminum is compatible with the lye bath; depending on alloy, a few of them show a black residue which strongly adheres to surface, can´t be brushed away because that will scratch the soft surface, so must be neutralized/redissolved in an acid bath (usually phosphoric acid).

So what is proper for a thick aluminum chassis is equivalent to a Nuke for a thin dustcap, which to boot can´t be properly washed AND is glud to a delicate speaker cone.

That said, you *can* try some mechanical polishing, using a Dremel and a small felt disk with a couple drops of "car polishing paste" , usually wax with some soft polishing agent added ... but since the wheel turns fast there is a high possibility that you splatter polishing paste on the soft and very absorbent WHITE cone surface ... the possibilities of damage are HUGE.

Better leave as is.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.