How to cut a square in a blank panel with minimal tools?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I usually draw panel holes/cutouts in CAD & print out.
1mm circle to indicate where to centre-pop.
3mm circle ensures the pilot drill hasn't wandered.
Then Pritt-stick to the panel. Small (3mm-ish) pilot drill first.
Easy if you have a manufacturers drawing of the piercing to work from.
Can be more difficult if measuring a component from life.
And do not assume anything - I was caught out by an LCD display - PCD holes were 0.3mm off-centre, it was shown on the drawing.

Nibbler tool -- about $7 -- I think you can find it at Parts Express etc.

You can also do it by drilling a series of small holes within the outline of the IEC socket, put the panel on a piece of wood and knock it out with a punch -- then file. The IEC power connectors I have used have 6 sides so you won't find a Greenlee punch for less than a few hundred dollars.

Thanks for that

Nickel Plated Nibbling Tool

IMG_9786.JPG

This looks to me like the most sensible, low cost solution unless I’m missing something.

PS OT I tried reaching out to you for some of SY’s boards a long time back and never heard back. Did your inbox get full? PM me if you have the time.

Cover both sides with blue tape or use soft wood in a vise in what ever method you decide upon in cutting
A firm solid foundation is paramount in doing it right.
Drilling many small holes, jig saw, rotary file in a high speed drill, finishing up with a course file, they all work but, make it secure so it will not move and you will succeed

Regards
David

I think that's been suggested before, has anyone advised using a hammer and chisel?

I wouldn't advise using a hammer and chisel :wave2:

Nice and slow with a drill and small holes, cut between holes with a coping saw, and finish off with files. Best with hand tools, and accuracy to 1/100th inch is entirely possible.

But a hammer and chisel could be fun ........

tapestryofsound

I wouldn't advise using a hammer and chisel :wave2:
I was the one suggesting it, and I can assure you that it can be very fast and very neat; of course, it can also end up in a horrible mess even faster, which is why I advised some practice before committing to a real job.

In general, fast and powerful techniques have a larger potential for huge and irretrievable mistakes: if you do all the work using a micro-file, you are never going to ruin anything, but it will take forever to complete the job

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.