How to router this driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Uhhh .... I am wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks for routing to countersink this driver flush in my baffle?

41334462805_14acde5c4e_z.jpg
[/url]AAA by Cullen Graham, on Flickr[/IMG]

Typically you would to this by creating a router pattern. It takes a little longer, but it is the easiest, surest way. I'm sure you can find tips in online woodworking sites.

Also, sometimes leaving a driver proud of the baffle improves time alignment, and makes it easy to slip a tweeter baffle under it so make sure it's what you want to do. :)

Best,

E

I didn't even click the link, LOL. You are correct. I am not planning on spending anything to get this done. I can do it, but would LOVE it, if someone has experience with a great way to get it done, without extra tools. Thanks for taking the time to help though!

I will go ahead and make a template from scratch. Time to grab the jig saw, sand paper, etc ... I was hoping there was an easy way to trace the driver itself, with the router, to make a template. Then realized the hole would always be too large, when doing that. Oh well.

Flaxxer, actually using the driver itself IS the best answer. You just have to use the right tools. :)

That's why I was suggesting a woodworking site. I can't remember the exact steps/bits to use.

It's something like, create a positive, then create a negative, and somewhere in that process you increase or decrease the size of your template.

I've always done it this way.
Works pretty good, but not foolproof.
Take your time and be careful on the 1st step.

Tip: How To Flush Mount Irregular Shape Driver - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum

Initially, I thought, oh, wasteful of template material. But then.... One advantage is that , though this method must use the driver as an initial template, any cutting is done far from the driver's edge. It is never used directly with a small bush or bearing guided profiling bit. So I'm a fan of it for that reason.

The first cut to produce the big template is the critical part. Any kick, bucking or twisting of the router will damage the profile.

J.

a hot link is where you paste a link in a forum that inserts or shows an image from another site.

effectively your using bandwidth from the original site.

I dont think its against forum rules here, but it's kinda frowned upon by lots of places.

Thanks for explaining that. Unless I am still confused, the image is linked from my own Flicker account. It's the only way I know how to post photos.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.