Strangest Box Material You used or Have Seen?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Terracotta ... Off course Italians tried it

Ceramics - Terracotta speakers

quit nice looking actually

In Japan ... recycle car tyres

seal-recycled-tire-speaker-1.jpg

Here another one ... already thinking to do this for my sons room :)

On a guitar stand :)

In the 1980s, Townshend used a plaster-lined steel shell for their Glastonbury speakers, which used Jordan units. This was their last version:

BigEars Audio - townshend

Another company, Electrofluidics, used a polymer for their very heavy and inert cabinets

Lending itself more readily to DIY, the Musician Speaker (a Liverpool University-developed full-range driver from the 1980s) used an interesting cabinet technique. It was constructed of ceramic tiles with cork glued at the edges, holding the tiles together. The cork made the construction airtight and decoupled the tiles from each other. I don't recall if the tiles themselves were damped. The front baffle was formed by the full-range driver, which was mounted on a metal plate.

Those really sound unique.

How about a solid core door?

I built these to fit in the under counter space. I used a Crites Conscalla Type D package. Lined the inside of the opening with 3" rock wool and covered the front with hanging speaker grill cloth. They sound very nice to me with good bass response. The motor boards do not vibrate much.

Attachments

• Speaker  Insulation.jpg
    Speaker Insulation.jpg
    577.8 KB · Views: 296
  • Speaker Front.jpg
    Speaker Front.jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 294
  • Speaker Rear.jpg
    Speaker Rear.jpg
    450.6 KB · Views: 295
  • Speakers Complete.jpg
    Speakers Complete.jpg
    550.2 KB · Views: 273
We needed to make a clandestine stereo for use inside the Motorola plant during those late night sessions when there was no bosses around, or those there didn't care.

Home brew amps were easy, after all I worked for a company that made silicon. We made clones of all the Tiger amps.

Speakers? Well for drivers, about the only thing available was a pair of speakers stolen out of the ceiling tiles from the house PA system. Cabinets? We used a pair of the large styrofoam shipping containers that carried 100 bulk packed pagers (remember those?) These were the large Pageboy models, so the container was about 20 X 24 inches with inch thick outside walls. We just cut out all the interior dividers and sealed the box with double sided tape. These things sounded much better than they should have, and survived many hours of loud playing 70's rock music.

I've covered speakers in shaggy faux fur, but that's not really a box material......Ok that shaggy faux fur is not a box but it makes me want to do this

Rewind back to 1974. My friend rented out half of his warehouse to some guys that made waterbeds and bean bag chairs. I'm looking in their dumpster at all the discards......most people see trash, but I see......speaker cabinets! At the same time the guy I'm renting half a duplex house from is repairing the roof. He is ripping out plywood that has rot holes, but plenty of good area. I ask if I can have the scraps and use his table saw.......here is the result.

I made 4 of these at that time, two matched pairs. The black and blue pair were stolen a few years after I made them. I would wind up making a dozen or so in all sorts of color combinations since there wasn't enough material for several of the same color. Most had 6 X 9 inch car stereo speakers in them since they were cheap. I made a stack of 4 with guitar speakers for a friends band.

I have no idea where they all went, but I kept the two remaining originals until I had to start reducing the "stuff" collection prior to leaving Florida. I took these speakers out of my storage unit, connected them to a powerful guitar amp and beat them until all that 40 year old foam surround was scattered all over the driveway......then tossed them in the trash.

The box covering is bean bag chair grade Naugahyde. The grill covering is disco grade crushed velvet.....

Attachments

• Speakers_A.jpg
    Speakers_A.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 145

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
so ... Sinterblock you need to buy all by yourself.

FYI: in the US we spell it "cinderblock". Sounds the same, and you never know if it is S or C, but this is C.

Cinder is lumpy coal ash. Old cinderblocks were pressed from "fly ash", mostly non-coal residue. Modern "CMU"s are pressed from various materials, concrete, ash, and aerated concrete.
Concrete masonry unit - Wikipedia

"Sinter" is bringing powdered metals up very near melting and pressing firmly.

Yes, that price is very generous to the seller.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.