Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Strangest Box Material You used or Have Seen?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2018, 08:19 PM   #31
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
...a truck load of shoe goo...
Your kidneys will curl-up and die.

Not actually "box", but I have used green insulating foam in a speaker build. I wanted a bass-mid box with an exponential front horn. I did not have fancy tools. I built the box of sheathing ply. I cut-up hard 3" polyu foam with holes to fill the 2'x2'x1' front space. I got in there with a rounded SurForm to work the holes into an exponential horn shape. Then I fiberglassed over.

Up close, it was mildly ugly, even with flat black paint. Out in the audience it had real good "throw" over 400Hz. I was young, and gradually realized that the exponential was not doing much good, and beamy. My next horn was pure pyramidical plywood. Covered a wider swath of the crowd and did not need as much EQ in the 200Hz-600Hz band where the narrower horn perked-up abruptly.
Old 29th January 2018, 09:17 PM   #32
stephenmarklay is offline stephenmarklay  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I have an accelerometer but i find a mechanics stehoscope more useful.

dave
I set-up a super quick and dirty way to look at it on a macro scale. I used my iPhone accelerometer and an app. I played test tones in Spotify.

Not a continuous sweep so I cannot see the resonance peaks but I do see the energy down low like this.
Old 29th January 2018, 09:18 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRR View Post
Your kidneys will curl-up and die.

Not actually "box", but I have used green insulating foam in a speaker build. I wanted a bass-mid box with an exponential front horn. I did not have fancy tools. I built the box of sheathing ply. I cut-up hard 3" polyu foam with holes to fill the 2'x2'x1' front space. I got in there with a rounded SurForm to work the holes into an exponential horn shape. Then I fiberglassed over.

Up close, it was mildly ugly, even with flat black paint. Out in the audience it had real good "throw" over 400Hz. I was young, and gradually realized that the exponential was not doing much good, and beamy. My next horn was pure pyramidical plywood. Covered a wider swath of the crowd and did not need as much EQ in the 200Hz-600Hz band where the narrower horn perked-up abruptly.
Thanks! I like my kidneys so I will not use shoe goo

Good job on that. Fun to play. That is what DIY is all about. Fun.
Old 29th January 2018, 09:19 PM   #34
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

You want to use music as a source of excitation… test tones have too much energy too long to see if potential resonances are excited. The test tones can tell you if there is a potential resonance, but not if it is important.

dave
Old 29th January 2018, 09:22 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Gotcha. Yes this was a primitive attempt.
Old 30th January 2018, 01:35 PM   #36
lsiberian is offline lsiberian  United States
diyAudio Member

My current boxes are 3/4" birch ply, peel-n-seel roofing material and 1/2" birch ply braced with Texas Red Oak, but the strangest to me is the super strong concrete a buddy of mine used. You needed a dolly to move the things. He was a very strange dude. His listening room was literally perfectly treated to the point it was absurd.
Old 30th January 2018, 01:36 PM   #37
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

A couple of threads have come up over the years regarding concrete enclosures.
Old 1st February 2018, 11:19 AM   #38
HaerdenC is offline HaerdenC  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to HaerdenC Strangest Box Material You used or Have Seen?
There is this guy who used Aluminium

Check this one ... impressive machining

YouTube
Old 1st February 2018, 11:56 AM   #39
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

In the 1980s, Townshend used a plaster-lined steel shell for their Glastonbury speakers, which used Jordan units. This was their last version:

BigEars Audio - townshend

Another company, Electrofluidics, used a polymer for their very heavy and inert cabinets

Lending itself more readily to DIY, the Musician Speaker (a Liverpool University-developed full-range driver from the 1980s) used an interesting cabinet technique. It was constructed of ceramic tiles with cork glued at the edges, holding the tiles together. The cork made the construction airtight and decoupled the tiles from each other. I don't recall if the tiles themselves were damped. The front baffle was formed by the full-range driver, which was mounted on a metal plate.

Last edited by Colin; 1st February 2018 at 11:58 AM. Reason: link added
Old 1st February 2018, 12:53 PM   #40
HaerdenC is offline HaerdenC  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to HaerdenC Strangest Box Material You used or Have Seen?
Terracotta ... Off course Italians tried it

Ceramics - Terracotta speakers

quit nice looking actually

In Japan ... recycle car tyres

Click the image to open in full size.

Here another one ... already thinking to do this for my sons room

Last edited by HaerdenC; 1st February 2018 at 12:57 PM.

Strangest Box Material You used or Have Seen?Hide this!Advertise here!