smps shielding in very tight space

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all.

Well im stupidly trying to cram everything in one box cos i like compact stuff.

probably going to bite me on the ****.

anyway, ive got an 800w smps in a case with two class D amps, a minidsp, and a bluetooth reciever.

i intend to surround the smps with an aluminium "wall" to shield it from the rest of the hardware.

obviously this may not be sufficient. we will see!

worst case scenario i will move smps to a seperate box and have an ugly fat umbilical carrying the 50v @16A to the amp.

anyway anyone got any tricks to achieve the best possible shielding of an smps?

im thinking a double wall might be good? ive got about a 1cm gap between the smps and the minidsp. idea was to have a wall attached to the floor of the case running full height, then another wall closer to smps attached to roof of case.. airgap between them.
possibly inner wall would not be full height, since it would be very close to smps pcb..

see attached sketch.

now before everyone tells me its way too close... i know i know.. when i planned the project i didnt consider certain intrusions in the case that have caused everything to be much closer than anticipated!

so best i can do is try to shield as well as possible, and see how it goes. if its unnaceptable, its umbilical time. leaving a perfect smps size hole in my case.

Attachments

• tight shielding.jpg
    tight shielding.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 104
i did read that a steel wall would shield better, but im concerned that it would be parallel to, and only a couple of cm from, the output inductors of my amps.. ive been told this is not a good idea!

maybe the wall between psu and minidsp could be steel, and the one between psu and amps ( further from trafo) could be alu...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.