Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Long Bevel cuts
Long Bevel cuts
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd October 2017, 11:52 AM   #1
Kyngfish is offline Kyngfish  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Long Bevel cuts

Hi all. I知 looking into getting the tools together to do a lot more projects around the house. Including things like loudspeaker cabinets - but I was reading and I知 having trouble understanding something.

Some cabinets require beveled edges 10-12 inches long at specific angles. I致e noticed most chop saws have around 7 inch capacity cutting at 90 degree miter. Does having a dual bevel allow you to make longer bevel cuts or is this really something that needs to be done on a table saw?

What are other suggestions? I知 currently looking at a 12 inch Makita people say is good. But is only single bevel and I知 wondering if I need to save my money for something else.
Old 22nd October 2017, 12:09 PM   #2
simon7000 is offline simon7000  United States
diyAudio Member

A sliding miter saw that allows the saw motor to tilt will do compound miters.

12 in. Double-Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw With Laser Guide System
Old 22nd October 2017, 12:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
A sliding miter saw that allows the saw motor to tilt will do compound miters.

12 in. Double-Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw With Laser Guide System
Thanks for this. As much as I like harbor freight for casual purchases though, I知 a little hesitant to try to buy a precision tool from there..
Old 22nd October 2017, 01:08 PM   #4
Dave R is offline Dave R  United States
diyAudio Member

Table saws come in compact, portable sizes as well.
Portable table saw review | job site | benchtop | woodworking
Old 22nd October 2017, 01:14 PM   #5
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Long Bevel cuts
I made a speaker with bevels on several edges that had to line up at the corners - which they did perfectly. I've also cut bevels on my build of Dave's Fonken speakers. All these bevels were at roughly 45degrees. In each case I used a hand-held disc saw with the base plate adjusted to the appropriate angle. I also clamp a strip of wood to the speaker to act as a guide for the base-plate of the saw to run along.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AtairSubFront.JPG (91.7 KB, 259 views)
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 22nd October 2017, 02:20 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Table saws come in compact, portable sizes as well.
Portable table saw review | job site | benchtop | woodworking
Yes. Thanks. Actually the Bosch is the table saw I was going to get. I just wanted to make sure I wasn稚 missing something in how I understood the chop saw. I am getting the chop first and table second
Old 22nd October 2017, 03:21 PM   #7
phivates is offline phivates  United States
diyAudio Member

I suggest looking into a track saw, a newer hybrid that I would buy if I did't have half a dozen table saws from 8-12". If you are going to stay with small boxes the slider will do, and also handle your trim cutting. I have the DeWalt, would buy the Bosch Glider. It does not require the space to the rear that the others do, so can be used on a bench or stand up against a wall.

Watch out! Tool acquisition can take over your life
Old 22nd October 2017, 04:19 PM   #8
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

Long Bevel cuts
This thread needs to be moved to construction tips. That said the problem with doing bevels, rabbets,or dados on a table saw is that plywood is warped and needs to be pressed securely to the table or the joints will be sloppy. I love my table saw and it's the most used tool in my shop however if I were just getting started and just wanted to build speaker boxes I would get a standard circular saw or a track saw (but $$) and a 1/2" router. That way you can clamp the plywood down to a workbench to flatten it as you work. You need the router to cut holes anyway.
Old 22nd October 2017, 04:40 PM   #9
herm is offline herm  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Track Saw

The track saw is VERY useful for making cabinets.

It's difficult to break down a full sheet of plywood or MDF on a table saw, but a track saw makes it SO easy.

Also, if the wood is warped or the edges aren't straight you will get lousy results from a table saw.

Eventually you will want both, but buy the table saw last.
Old 22nd October 2017, 05:10 PM   #10
phivates is offline phivates  United States
diyAudio Member

One can diy a track saw with an existing circular saw though the base plate needs to be flat. Full sheets of ply/mdf and portable table saws do not mix well, and the bevel cut is a third dimension, or axis, that is surprisingly cranky.
Most vendors will cut sheet stock for a fee.
The table saw was the primary tool in the 20th century, though some went with a radial arm. Now: what Jimbro says.

Long Bevel cutsHide this!Advertise here!