Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Russ Andrews "Zapperator" circuit
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2017, 05:54 PM   #21
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Ferrite beads. Do you mean slipped over the speaker leads ?

You might be surprised how they interact (in a bad way) with the signal voltage appearing across the speaker as saturation is reached.
Old 19th October 2017, 05:57 PM   #22
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Not specifically, general question, but that's interesting
Old 19th October 2017, 06:44 PM   #23
Britain4 is offline Britain4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
Ferrite beads. Do you mean slipped over the speaker leads ?

You might be surprised how they interact (in a bad way) with the signal voltage appearing across the speaker as saturation is reached.
I haven't actually experimented with ferrite beads due to this ^^

I haven't really looked into applications where they might help matters to be honest.
Old 19th October 2017, 06:51 PM   #24
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
Not specifically, general question, but that's interesting
I tried this many years ago and was amazed at just what did happen. Testing into a dummy load and all was good up to a couple of watts output and then anything above that and the distortion suddenly set in.

Its frequency dependent and the distortion turns a nice sine into a horribly distorted triangular wave (from memory... its a long time ago) and with what also looks like gallons of crossover distortion thrown in.
Old 19th October 2017, 08:25 PM   #25
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britain4 View Post
No don't get me wrong I'm not interested in just producing an exact clone of the product, just taking inspiration from the idea and producing something that works in a similar way.

I am actually quite keen to try that out - and if I find a value that works better then I can always make some with that fixed resistor value (although again difficult without a scope)
Well step one is work out what the problem is that needs solving. Whilst there were many hair shirt amplifier designs in the 80s that would oscillate as soon as you looked at them, thankfully this is less so now (Naim owners are still being fleeced for inductive speaker cables of course).

What could a doodad connected at your speaker actually do? It could act as a conjugate to make the speaker an easier load to drive, but that is speaker dependent. It might terminate RF pickup, but you amplifer should have an output coil to stop that getting back in. And if that was the issue you would be better off with something that actually does something like this. Ben Duncan's Pure Henry (note this is not saying that would help).

So so far I can't think of something it might be doing in order to work out what it would look like.
Old 23rd October 2017, 03:40 PM   #26
DF96 is online now DF96  England
diyAudio Member

A CR at the speaker end of the cable can roughly ensure that the cable is terminated for RF. This stops the cable resonating, which may reduce the pickup at that frequency - which may matter if there is a signal at that frequency and if the amp is poor at rejecting RF coming in at the speaker terminals. It may be noted that most systems omit this cable termination, and most systems works just fine.

Russ Andrews "Zapperator" circuitHide this!Advertise here!