Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Old radio -> bluetooth speaker
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2017, 10:54 AM   #1
josi94 is offline josi94  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default Old radio -> bluetooth speaker

Hi, i recently started to look in to DIY speakerbuilding after i found a old radio at my old grandparents house. It is not working and i dont know much about radio circuts. So i was thinking about renovate it and build it to a bluetooth speaker to my dad as a christmas present, so he can have it as a memory of his parents.

I want it to sound really good and not make it to complicated as i have no experience in this field. But i have an idea on how i will do it, but i propably need some guidance if this is any good and tips from you guys.

Plan:
I thought about building a sealed build as this seemed to be the easiest way. So i would seal the back with some wood and have a low frequency driver in the back and a higher frequency driver where the old speaker was. And i was hoping the original potiometers will work.

Questions:
Is my plan ok or is it stupid? i ask cuase i have no experience in the field.
If it will work is it anything i should look out for?
And last, will the old potiometers work on a new system (If they are ok ofc.)?

Every answer and tip will be hugely appreciated, thanks!

Picture of the radio: (It got a little streched in the uploading)
Click the image to open in full size.

Sketch of py plans:
An externally hosted image should be here but it is no longer accessible. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.
Old 13th October 2017, 09:53 PM   #2
Andersonix is offline Andersonix  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Determine if your dad places a lot of sentimental value in the radio in its original condition, before you hack it up. Maybe someone here (not me) can assist in getting it working?
Use only a full range driver for the front.
Save the knobs and find new suitable pots that fit the knob.
Old 14th October 2017, 01:43 AM   #3
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Slow down. It does not have to be cut-up right-away.

What is the make and model?
Old 14th October 2017, 10:43 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well i dont think he have that much sentimental value of it working like it is supose to do, more just about the looks of it. I know that if it was just a radio it would have been standeing there collecting dust, cause he really dont listen to radio. But he uses the little music angel i gave him ALOT, for music and speeches. So i was thinking it will be better to give him something he would use every day.
Old 15th October 2017, 06:21 PM   #5
turk 182 is offline turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

i'm with PRR if you can revive it even if it's just the amp stage and add a Bluetooth module how cool would that be?
speakers and electronics could still be updated ...but hey it's your project...
Old 15th October 2017, 06:33 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks for tips, i didnt want to do this yet to this piece for the first time so i bougth a broken Radioetta and doing that first for my self. only one problem after i cracket it open i found out that the speaker units was oval shaped. And i have trouble finding matching ones. Any tips?

Speaker dim:
28 cm long side
18 cm on the short
Old 15th October 2017, 06:49 PM   #7
Welcome is offline Welcome  France
diyAudio Member

Dudes, what would a father appreciate more? An old but working radio or a personally made gift from his son, built on stuff from his own father? That's special, man - the radio itself doesn't matter.
Old 15th October 2017, 06:54 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Can one of these Vifa TG9FD 3.5 inch full rangers fit in there? Then you could just turn the radio into a simple speaker cabinet.
Vifa TG9FD10-04 3.5" Full Range
Old 15th October 2017, 06:57 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome View Post
Dudes, what would a father appreciate more? An old but working radio or a personally made gift from his son, built on stuff from his own father? That's special, man - the radio itself doesn't matter.
I will tell you with a high degree of certainty what my dad would appreciate more, and it's not what you propose...
Old 15th October 2017, 07:23 PM   #10
turk 182 is offline turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

those measurements are total including frame? sounds like a 6x9 speaker, have you looked at car audio speakers? most of those would not require a sealed cabinet.
the one your planning for dad what size and shape are the speakers?

Old radio -> bluetooth speakerHide this!Advertise here!