Anyone know about DC brushless fans?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My first foray into fan troubleshooting - the pictured 2-wire 18/30VDC Pabst 4124GX, which has four natural rest positions, but will only reliably start from two of them (180deg apart).

From either, it will start at ~15V; from the others, at 26V it jerks briefly but doesn't get over the magnetic 'hump'.

The windings are intact, no obvious shorts/opens/failures on components. I have no schematic (or clue about the circuitry); there are a couple of 3-terminal devices (markings obscured), and a couple of caps/diodes/resistors, that's about it.

Is the yellowish foam-like material behind the sprung spider/insert intended as a lubricant reservoir/filter? I'll re-lubricate. Anything in the electronics to look for?

It runs nice and quiet, aluminium housing, good German engineering (label date code 1985!). Would prefer to keep it spinning than replace with current-prod plastic stuff...

Cheers,
AP

Pic added

Oops - forgot the pic.

Nigel, do you mean on the fan's internal board, or the external control within amp? The latter looks OK.

Cheers,
AP

Attachments

• Pabst_4124GX.jpg
    Pabst_4124GX.jpg
    523.6 KB · Views: 79
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.