Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Danish oil plus a clear?
Danish oil plus a clear?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th May 2016, 06:46 PM   #1
SS4927 is offline SS4927  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Danish oil plus a clear?

I tested this Danish oil and quite like the looks of it. Now I have two questions,

For (possibly) better results would you advise using some type of pore opener prior to applying Danish oil, or would it not be recommended?

And, How about an oil based clear over the oil after it has time to set up? With or without the furniture I seen had a stunning finish. I think I remember the fella mentioning that it also had some satin clear over the Danish oil. What are your thoughts?

Finish pictures existing of Danish oils would be great, too
Old 16th May 2016, 01:19 AM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

I'd leave the pores as they are; as for finish clear coat over the fully cured oil finish, while I personally like the speed of application of sprayed NC lacquer (not water based urethanes), in keeping with the oil finish, how about finishing paste wax. I've used both a Watco product -Satin Wax, and Minwax brand paste wax. The former is as easy to apply as the oil finish itself, and whenever possible, I like to use product from the same manufacturer to ensure chemical compatibility.

Of course, all oil/ wax finishes eventually need maintenance - the lacquer doesn't, unless damaged by the usual culprits
Old 16th May 2016, 12:36 PM   #3
Fivetide is offline Fivetide  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Depends on the material. hard woods it works fine as is. Then I buff it with a good bee's wax. Straight onto a Birch pine etc, I wouldn't know never tried it (yet) but a good 50/50 shellac perhaps would stop the blotches.
The only thing I 've tried on Birch ply is Chestnut acrylic sanding sealer followed by Chestnut Acrylic Lacquer - no pics sorry.. it simply looks like its been varnished without turning yellow..
Old 16th May 2016, 12:38 PM   #4
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
R.I.P.

I have only gone as far as three coats of Danish Oil so never done a glossy version.
I have seen a five coat application and it was glossy.

Danish Oil is very easy to repair. Just rub it down and apply more oil.
Old 16th May 2016, 01:00 PM   #5
evanc is offline evanc  United States
diyAudio Member

Location: New Jersey. About 1 hour from NYC and 1 min. from the beach
Danish oil plus a clear?
I would use paste wax after the Danish oil. If you want to build up a surface layer I have had good results with waterlox. https://www.waterlox.com/
Thin it with mineral spirits and wipe on thin coats. it can build up to a very nice shine. Also very durable.

Be careful with any of these oil finishes..... Rags can and will self combust.
Old 16th May 2016, 01:02 PM   #6
Fivetide is offline Fivetide  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

This is Danish oil on European Walnut Heart without a polishing I guess a veneer would look similar.

Danish oil plus a clear?-img_0439-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0439.JPG (311.3 KB, 730 views)
Old 16th May 2016, 11:08 PM   #7
paul burchell is offline paul burchell  Canada
diyAudio Member

What type of wood are you planing to finish.
Melting some bees wax into linseed or tung oil to create a cream consistent to soft butter can be used in the final polish.
Old 29th May 2016, 08:39 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul burchell View Post
What type of wood are you planing to finish.
Melting some bees wax into linseed or tung oil to create a cream consistent to soft butter can be used in the final polish.
A few are exotics and have beautiful looking colour and grain. Plus a few north american species, maple, cherry, and a couple different oak, I might of left out a couple.

Anyhow after getting some of it ripped down and witnessing the colours in its natural raw state I might not want to tangle with it much in way of staining, question mark. Then some of it like the rich grain oak, takes to colour stains exceptionally and shows well. It will be multi coloured, wich I like. Maybe Ill stain some boards while just clearing others.

I tried to capture what Im talking about will set a trial picture once upload finishes. Although the lighting is p*$$ poor Ill give it a try.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colourr.jpg (205.0 KB, 300 views)

Last edited by SS4927; 29th May 2016 at 09:08 PM. Reason: file att:
Old 29th May 2016, 09:22 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Edit time expired, oops.

Some arent included in pictures I have enough cut to get started.

As you can see I burned a couple 1/8 pieces, oops again. Its not badly burned nothing the sanding phase shouldnt take care of.

Fivetide I really like the carving, very nice proudly hang that one up for display.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colourll.jpg (168.0 KB, 297 views)

Last edited by SS4927; 29th May 2016 at 09:29 PM.
Old 29th May 2016, 09:36 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Im thinking now, of different product that leaves it mostly natural looking yet highlights whats already there but doesnt take away from it "natural" look.

I think I will stain some and leave some light actuallu, for the contrasting effect. But I could use some more help there, what type of products are best for this?

Danish oil plus a clear?Hide this!Advertise here!