How to punch/drill a square hole on 0.2" aluminum panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

sorry to keep asking question on the aluminum front panel. I just received a remote motorized volume control and it works. Now my problem is to drill a hole on the front panel to fit the IR detector through. It's a rectangular detector of about 0.23" X 0.26". I think I'll be happy with a 0.27" X 0.27" square hole.

Is there an easy way to make a hole like this? Do they have punch that can punch through 0.2" aluminum?

I went on Youtube, nothing is easy far as I can see.

If not, I guess I can drill a 0.36" round hole to fit it through. But that is not going to be the best looking.

If I drill a round hole, I might be able to find a piece of square dark transparent plastic and glue in front of the hole, that might be better looking.

Actually a bit of obscure geometry in action. Downside is a lot of vibration and chatter. High wear rate on the machinery. The more common method used for wood is to drill a round hole and chase with a hollow square reamer. Will work for aluminum but getting the tooling in that size would require a custom and expensive piece.

Now filing using a square file with only one side cut would be cheap and easy for such a small size.

This coming from someone flying the Union Jack? I'm STILL dealing with Whitworth,British Standard Fine,British Association and Cycle Engineers Institute fasteners and all of the weird and wonderful tools needed when dealing with them:rolleyes:

LOLZ!
Considering Canada is a Colony and good old stick in the mud blighty's been metric since the end of the 70's..... whats keeping you?

HEY! We haven't been a colony since 1965:headshot:
What's keeping us?? All those bloody British motorcycles I keep collecting:rofl:
Ahhh..... '65 was only yesterday you know old bean!
As for your addiction, sell them and buy a few older Japs, they leak less oil, every things metric and yer goolies wont be numb for days after riding them.....

You can take the Canadians out of a colony, but you can't take the colony out of the Canadians.

True of most ex colonies that is - Brit or otherwize.

Thankfully I am bilingual with the metric/imperial thing.

Ceased to be a colony? Well you could pick any number of dates including 1931 with the Westminster Act or 1982 (Canada Act) when full control over our constitution was ours. Not sure about 1965. I think that's when we got our own flag was it?

I still think of myself as a colonist. It allows me to use terms like 'bloody good, cheerio, knock you up in the morning , pig in a poke, mushy peas, top of the morning and ta, among others.

Oh, that square drill thing is pretty cool too. I would use a large round bit, a small round bit and a saw or a file depending on the size of the hole.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I'm bilingual too. We call inches 'imperial' measures so that speaks for itself. We went metric in the seventies, didn't know you did that too in the Old Dart ;)

We also went to dollars in '66, and we have the R.A.A.F.

Last edited:
Ahhh..... '65 was only yesterday you know old bean!
As for your addiction, sell them and buy a few older Japs, they leak less oil, every things metric and yer goolies wont be numb for days after riding them.....

True of most ex colonies that is - Brit or otherwize.

ROTFLMFAO! That aside,I don't own any metric tools:(

For the hole,just find a local metal shop. Most will be happy to punch a hole for you.Too bad you're not nearby;I could do it at work!

I was a machinist for several years. They way we make a Square Hole..

Its called Broaching:
* Drill a round hole the smallest size (inter-side) of the squared hole you're wanting.
* Now if you're able, make (Grind) a Square Punch the size you want the Square Hole to be. The Squared End needs to be Flat to make the edges sharp. (You can use any kind of Steel-Rod or even a decent old Screwdriver to make this Punch)
* Lay the material to be Holed on a solid as possible *flat* surface.
* Put a drop of lube on the hole and Center the Square Punch over the center of the drilled round hole. Use a good Hammer to start Tapping the punch through the Hole.
* Flip the Material over once you get half way through the hole with the punch This makes a nice clean Square Hole on both sides of your piece.

If your going to be removing a lot of material out if the corners (like an 1/8" or more for *Aluminum*) you should do it progressively. Note: Harder Metals take bit different approach.

If you don't want to do it the machinist way, you can just File it out but add a little lube as you go with Aluminum. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.