Construction Guides

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Folks,

I'm a musician and currently work in audio post. I've built a few different music-related pieces of gear (a valve guitar amp, some guitar effects pedals) over the years under the watchful eye of my father who was a wireless tech. in WWII. My Dad recently had a small stroke so he finds things a bit difficult now so I can't rely on him for help and advice like I used to.

I'm interested in building some old recording studio gear (mic preamps, etc.). My understanding of electronics theory is reasonable however one area I'm uncertain about is the actual construction side of building older gear. For example, I'd like to build an RCA-5879 mic preamp <http://www.tubebooks.org/file_downloads/RCA_HiFi.pdf> however I'm unclear about the best way to do this - should I try point-to-point, tagboard, eyelet board, etc.

Just as an example, one of the things I built was a Fender Champ built point-to-point. I later decided to modify the amp and found that there was an eyelet board available which made construction a lot simpler. Are there any guides (online or books) that focus on actual construction techniques rather than circuit theory?

Cheers,

Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Probably belongs over in the Instrument & Amps forum, but in any event I'd recommend you have a look for Morgan Jones' "Building Valve Amplifiers" as it will give you exposure to the practical sorts of things you need to know in order to build tube based audio gear. (Applicable to mic amps and other things.)

Either edition should be fine for your purposes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.