subwoofer surround adhesive

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found a few sorta related answers to this in a search, but most dealt with foam surrounds.

I have a 10" Kicker CV-R that came completely unglued. (surround separated from the basket) I think the motor is fine. I read that some of you recommend something like Loctite 411 for foam, would that recommendation hold true for Santoprene as well?

Last edited:
A few years ago a friend bought a cone repair kit for his sub.It came with a small bottle of glue. The glue was white in colour and looked and smelt like the white PVA wood glue we get locally. There is a fast set type which is slightly yellow in colour.
We have also used rubber based glues though it tends to curl up the foam or rubber surround before drying up. PVA worked very well.

Aleene's Original Tacky Glue has worked well when I replaced a few surrounds a while ago. It looks like regular white glue but isn't quite the same. I've seen this recommendation a few time in different places.

Aleene's Original Tacky Glue

Hi All,

The use of Aleene's Original Tacky-glue was originally a method developed and recommended over 20 years ago by the legendary Ed Heath on the old "Bass List". Ed was a crusty sort of guy that was constantly experimenting with various tweaks and mods as well as speaker construction. One really useful idea that Ed came up with was the use of Aleene's for repairing cuts in speaker surrounds.

Locate the cut and clean any dirt, etc. from the surround. Then from your home medical box unroll some surgical bandage guaze and cut a piece that will cover the cut with an overlap of at least 1/8 to a 1/4 inch all around the cut.
With a small artist's paint brush apply a thin coat of Aleene's around the tear working it in with no air bubbles. If it looks like you've covered it well, gently center your piece of guaze over the cut and gently use your brush to work the gauze into the layer of Aleene's. Once it is been worked a bit, apply a bit more Aleenes to insure that the pores of the gauze are filled with Aleene's. Let it sit for a couple of days, don't rush it...it needs to completely cure.

If the tear is in the CONE, use Aleene's and Christmas tissue paper to patch the cone. Several coats are necessay, which may be an initial "Primer" coat, then the tissue paper patch followed a couple of thin additional coats of Aleene's. Again give it a couple of days to cure. So far, I have never had a failure (including those done years ago!), nor has anyone told me of a failure after using this method!

I've posted this method on a number of forums, over nearly two decades and many have used this method to repair various drivers, including a fair number of high excursion Subwoofer drivers.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Last edited:
Glue surround to basket

I used gorilla glue (contact adhesive) clear grip.
Glued both sides on a 12" pioneer 3500 watt champion series pro TS-W3002D4 waited 3 min then clamped both sides together for 12 hours. Cure time is 24hrs. I can't pull em apart plugged it in and no separation problems.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.