Cleaning Circuit Boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for recommendations for cleaning these boards. I'v tried "Lectro-motive parts cleaner from CRC, rubbing alcohol and water. None of which really cleaned them. I didn't run them under water or soak them in alcohol just tried to wipe the areas with cloth soaked in each. The spray cleaner I sprayed heavily until it dripped off but to no avail. I hesitate to try anything harsher without further guidance. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Attachments

• 20150119_130431.jpg
    20150119_130431.jpg
    524 KB · Views: 267
Isopropyl rubbing alcohol in 70% solution (very cheap from your local pharmacy) and a tooth brush (not your partners, he/she wouldn't understand). Put some in a cap, dip the brush in it and scrub away at the board, don't be shy. The alcohol will dissolve any flux residue (assuming that's what you want to clean off). Rinse the board gently under tap water if you have a lot of gunk and re-apply clean alcohol to get the water out.

Dry the board. I often use a can of 'duster' air to get out the stuff in tight spots like under chips and such. It's clean and oil free.

I clean regularly when populating a board (unless its an air solder job then I do it all at the end). If you have corrosion already on the board this will help but the damage is pretty much done at that point. Below is an example of a board that didn't get cleaned properly after populating.

Not the best focus on it but the mess is plain. The corrosion was so bad it shorted out a power trace under the chip that nearly burnt through the entire laminate (on a 9V battery). The red wire is a patch job until another PCB could be made.

Attachments

• Corroded PCB.jpg
    Corroded PCB.jpg
    458.1 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
I've tried denatured alcohol with some success, and less lingering odor to offend my other half's very sensitive nose. Acetone evaporates >fast< and can attack some plastics and solder masks. Some brush action may be required and a generous supply of cotton swabs. A compressed air source to blast out trapped solvent is good.

At one time I used a lacquer thinner from Sears, but what I'm finding now doesn't seem to work as well. Wonder what changed? At any rate, Dawn's nose alarm goes off when I try to use the stuff, so I've switched to corrupted ethanol. The 99% isopropanol sounds like another good choice, I will have to try some.

--Damon

I second the 99% Rubbing alcohol. The higher the percentage the better. I just thought it was all the same until i bought another bottle and it was worthless. Turned out to be 60% or something. I use a stiff brush and after scrubbing, i blow it off sideways, like a plate draining. Then i can work on it. Good luck!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.