Low Cost Amplifier Chassis Ideas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
These are my Whammy HPA, Pass ACA monoblocks and Pass Mini Aleph (all shown in other threads). Pretty low cost.

Attachments

• _DSC6534a.jpg
    _DSC6534a.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 679
  • IMG_0059.jpg
    IMG_0059.jpg
    708.9 KB · Views: 347
  • _DSC4621a.jpg
    _DSC4621a.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_0048.jpg
    IMG_0048.jpg
    541.9 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    925 KB · Views: 316
  • _DSC4339a.JPG
    _DSC4339a.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 647
  • _DSC6541a.jpg
    _DSC6541a.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 646
  • _DSC6538a.jpg
    _DSC6538a.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 645
  • _DSC6537a.jpg
    _DSC6537a.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 657
Last edited:

Attachments

• ASHLY CHASSIS MOD 1.jpg
    ASHLY CHASSIS MOD 1.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 321
  • ASHLY CHASSIS MOD P100.jpg
    ASHLY CHASSIS MOD P100.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 238
  • ASHLY CHASSIS MOD 3.jpg
    ASHLY CHASSIS MOD 3.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 294
  • 649031118_large_ce38285037ca8cd25d181bb09c82a1fa.jpg
    649031118_large_ce38285037ca8cd25d181bb09c82a1fa.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
You are lucky if you can still find 'junk' equipment. In my area, things go straight to the 'electronics recycling' where scavenging is unfortunately not allowed.
:(

I got the Ashly amp chassis on eBay, it was sold for parts due to the extensive damage to the amp board. I think is was $50, a great deal for a full working chassis without the amp.

Is it ok if the Chassis is made out of wood?

All wood?

One problem is heat and ventilation, so you need to be aware of that. Wood is a good thermal insulator (and is flammable! :) ).

If using solid wood, thin panels aren't very strong.

The problem I've found with using wood for faceplates and back plates is that most of the controls (pots, switches) and jacks don't attach well to thicker panels. So I've had to 'hollow out' the wood to allow the nut to thread on to the component. If the component is 'buried' into the back of the wood panel, it can be difficult to solder to it, if modifications have to be made.

I have used a thick wood front panel on the chassis from an old commercial receiver and it looked OK.

Attachments

• biamp4.jpg
    biamp4.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 320
  • biamp1.jpg
    biamp1.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 287
  • myref1_01.jpg
    myref1_01.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 329
  • myref1_02.jpg
    myref1_02.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 386
  • myref1_03.jpg
    myref1_03.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 405

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Is it ok if the Chassi is made out of wood?

Most audio should be inside a closed metallic box. Otherwise it picks up all the power hum/buzz in the room, also radio stations.

This does not have to be an actual metal box. I have seen wood and plastic lined with metal foil, that works fine. Kitchen foil works but it and the glue are awkward. Self-stick copper foil is sold for the purpose but very expensive. Go to the home fixing store, duct aisle. The cloth "duct tape" is actually not even good for ducts, and certainly not for shielding. Keep digging. They should have a heavy roll of Aluminum self-stick tape, that's what you want.
Nashua Tape 324A Foil UL Listed HVAC Tape

I saw some interesting ideas for metal layout and drilling in this video:
YouTube

He uses Forstner/SawTooth bits for drilling the larger holes (in aluminum).
If the bits are decent steel they should cut Al OK, though you'd want to find some cheap drills, I think. The good Forstner bits are expensive.
I prefer step drills, and I have a punch for octal tube socket holes.

A collection of hand tools: hand drill and drills, file, sheet metal seamer, metal nibbler, hack saw, and sand paper. Combine this with scraps collected over the years, all of which could be found in the odds and ends section of a hardware store or metal shop or bits from a scrap dealer if you don't have a collection or "junk". Here is what I came up with for a low cost chassis.

Attachments

• IMG_20190125_231824.jpg
    IMG_20190125_231824.jpg
    578.8 KB · Views: 737
  • IMG_20190125_231844.jpg
    IMG_20190125_231844.jpg
    529 KB · Views: 716
With the concern around working with ac line potential as large as it is on this site, I am surprised that placing that kind of energy into a wooden box, assumably inside one’s living quarters, hasn’t had the same diligence.

So besides risking your home value, or well being is it not worth the time and effort spared to make a proper enclosure, or is cheaper always better?

I have seen lower powered equipment in lesser enclosures, however they have had been given a ul rating. I would think that a little overkill might be a good thing with diy equipment in the event of any issue.

I use dead amplifier cases for amp projects, I seem to have a few of those.

I have glued double sided circuit board blanks to cover the inside of wooden chassis. Connected them with wires soldered to each piece and grounded to the central ground point. Seems to work. I have even used one of them as a kind of "ground plane" for builds wired point to point by running wires from the circuit board material to circuit grounds.

With the concern around working with ac line potential as large as it is on this site, I am surprised that placing that kind of energy into a wooden box, assumably inside one’s living quarters, hasn’t had the same diligence.

So besides risking your home value, or well being is it not worth the time and effort spared to make a proper enclosure, or is cheaper always better?

You must be worried about all that AC wiring inside your house walls, next to wood studs?

I absolutely do not understand what you are talking about.
How is an aluminum plate fastened to a wood frame dangerous?

Guitar amps have wood cases with the chassis slid inside; all the console stereos, and before them console hifi-s and 'parlour radios' had wood cases.

My amps don't catch on fire, so perhaps I've gotten complacent.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.