Dim bulb tester wiring for SP switch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there:

I'm trying to put together a dim (light) bulb tester to test the amp boards for my Gainclone project. To call me a newbie would be a compliment, so please, spell it out for me....

I bought all the parts, as per this website's example of the more common version:
Dim Bulb Tester

However, I have a single pole switch, instead of the double pole that they show in the examples. I'm assuming it will be fine to build the more commonly used circuit, as they describe it. But I'm confused about something....does anything change in terms of the instructions if I use a SP switch? I assume I still have to remove the brass-colored tab that makes the double receptacle run in parallel?

Please, spell it out for this newbie.

Thanks

ok stop the bus!
if you can't tell or don't know the difference between the two versions of the dim bulb tester from the two schematics in the link you supplied i worry about fate of your Gainclone project.
and "yes!" you do still have to remove the tab on the receptacle. question is can you tell me or understand why that step is important? sorry in advance if i seem rude but anything involving mains wiring requires a good level of knowledge and respect as your life (or the safety of others)is in the balance.

as much as it's known as the "dim bulb tester" i prefer to call it "homebrew A.C. current limiter" as that more accurately describes it's function.

Last edited:
Well, thanks for your concern, but if I knew all the basics of electronics, I wouldn't need to ask.

I am not good at these things, but I am good at following instructions, and I don't just randomly start connecting things to other things unless I see that is the way it's supposed to be done. i.e. I can follow instructions.

Thanks

ok stop the bus!
if you can't tell or don't know the difference between the two versions of the dim bulb tester from the two schematics in the link you supplied i worry about fate of your Gainclone project.
and "yes!" you do still have to remove the tab on the receptacle. question is can you tell me or understand why that step is important? sorry in advance if i seem rude but anything involving mains wiring requires a good level of knowledge and respect as your life (or the safety of others)is in the balance.

as much as it's known as the "dim bulb tester" i prefer to call it "homebrew A.C. current limiter" as that more accurately describes it's function.

if you compare the two schematics the main difference between the two is that one only switches a single power lead (spst) the other(dpst) disconnects both.
the removal of the tab is to prevent a short circuit.
i'm simply trying to advise caution with respect to safety in your assembly of the "dim bulb tester"

My portable Mains Bulb Tester has no switch. I plug into the wall socket.
I plug into the bulb tester socket.
I stand back and switch on at the wall socket. Yes my wall sockets are switched.

My non portable Mains Bulb Tester is built into my Variac and variable LV AC box.
This tester has a switch, but only on the LIVE. The neutral is not switched.
I can switch ON, by inserting the bulb, or using the power switch, or plugging in the DUT equipment.

Both the portable and the static versions are wired and protected such that mains is not exposed to accidental touching. Except the terminals in the bottom of the bayonet bulb holder.

drawing circuits and learning to read schematics and wiring diagrams is a good way to learn a lot about circuits and circuit assembly.
every novice needs to expand their knowledge base. google thing like "standard schematics symbols and notations" it's a good starting point.
if you look at the "lines" circuit traces in the schematics you "linked to" you'll notice that it forms a circuit path that puts the "lamp" in series with load.(hence the need to remove the tab only on one side of the duplex receptacle)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.