How to "clean up" a tiny via for soldering?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I recently bought a nice embedded digital transport/streaming device (CocktailAudio X10) well knowing that the quality of the DAC and the amp circuitry is fairly poor....
My reason for buying this device anyway is/was that I cannot possibly do better myself than what this device does on the digital side and user interface (ripping CD's to HD, streaming etc.). What I however hope/think to be able to do much better is the DA-conversion and the amplification part of the story:)
First however I need to tap the I2S signal......
This seems trivial as the DAC chip is easily identifiable and easy to access, however, I find myself in trouble when actually trying to solder on the connecting wires.

I would greatly appreciate ideas/advice on how to do this "tapping" in practice. How do I strip the vias of lacquer preventing me from soldering wires here:confused:

All advice greatly appreciated,

Nic

Attachments

• X10.001.jpg
    X10.001.jpg
    649.1 KB · Views: 235
Its not conformal coated though.

You could just use a scalpel, and carefully scrape the coating off the vias, or solder directly to the chip pads/leads, or, trace where the vias lead to on the other side of the board, as they may connect to larger pads/components that you can more easily solder to ;)

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thanks for the advice.
Finding the right wire is indeed also a problem as the vias are indeed very narrow. I was thinking to use something stronger and stiffer than copper. Just don't know what.
Unfortunately no "big" components on the signal path and also the pads of DAC chip are tiny. I still think the vias should be the easiest place to connect.

Thanks for the advice.
Finding the right wire is indeed also a problem as the vias are indeed very narrow. I was thinking to use something stronger and stiffer than copper. Just don't know what.
Unfortunately no "big" components on the signal path and also the pads of DAC chip are tiny. I still think the vias should be the easiest place to connect.

Take an old computer cable (printer, com port) and remove 1 lead. Strip the insulation and remove 1 strand from the wire. I use those to repair acid damage on old (early '90s) broadcast gear PCBs . You shouldn't need 'strength' just a reliable connection. I've used this wire to 'splint' smaller than 8 mil tracks.

I use a razor blade or exacto knife to remove the coating (usually green) by gently scraping it. A flux pen simplifies soldering to the tiny traces. when the strand is soldered in an both ends the razor blade or exacto will cut the excess strand and not damage the printed trace. It's tedious but is almost invisible when done.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.