Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Construction Tips Construction techniques and tips

Mounting a leather clad baffle
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th April 2014, 07:37 PM   #1
Majorna is offline Majorna
diyAudio Member

Default Mounting a leather clad baffle

Hi everyone!

I have bought myself a pair of Alpair 10.2 and have decided to go for Jim Griffins design for a MLTL.
As I''ve been pondering my design options I an finally arriving at a decision.

I was thinking of using laminated oak panels for the top, bottom and side panels and leather clad back and baffle.

I want the baffle to be flush mounted to the surrounding walls, but how to go about this is a different matter.

As of now I've just come up with three solutions:

1. Cover the baffle in faux leather and just assemble the box where I glue the leather sides to the of the baffle to the surrounding hardwood.
(Am I making sense here)?
I don't think that will hold very well though.

1.2. The above but strengthening the bond by using wooden plugs between the walls and baffle.

2. Adding a frame on the inside if the box and threaded inserts to the baffle, securing the baffle to the box from the inside.

3. Build the box with baffle inserted, mill i 1mm groove along the baffle, dress the baffle, trim the edges and tuck the remaining leather into the groove.
This solution seems to easy/good to be viable.

Well ladies and gents, that is what keeps me up at night and prevents me from being a productive co worker.

I hope your expertise will guide me to the path of beautiful sound in an attractive exterior.

Majorna
Old 4th April 2014, 08:08 PM   #2
Einric is offline Einric  United States
diyAudio Member

Option 2, All the way.
Old 5th April 2014, 06:52 AM   #3
Majorna is offline Majorna
diyAudio Member

Thought as much.
thanks for your input Einric.

Mounting a leather clad baffleHide this!Advertise here!