Tips for making a simple 32 (mic) in -> 4 (line) out summing mixer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all!

This is my first post, so I apologize if I'm doing things wrong.

THE PROJECT:
I want to have 32 mic preamps with variable gain (no phantom power), each of the gained signals will then be sent to one of four outs. I do not need phantom power. Though a set low pass filter on around a 100Hz would be great.
They do not need to be great, simply good enough for live sound applications.

BACKGROUND:
I am currently using a total of tree mixing consoles when mixing a local choir. The main reason for this is that they all use hand held microphones and I need to gain them individually then sum them to their appropriate group.

I want to make a simple summing mixer to use on stage, thus removing the need for the two 'daughter boards'.

I need help with a suggestion for the schematic, as well as some tips for the build process.

I've made a few guitar pedals, and guitar tube amps from kits. I have a moderate understanding of electronics.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Building a mixer is not very hard to do.

But for the money that you will have invested at at least $10 to $15 per channel if not more you can find a good used full blown Mackie 32-8 recording mixer on Ebay!!

I just checked and I see them as low as $475 and one just staring out a $108.

I know that the have their issues, But I have had mine since 1994 when it was new and only had it apart 3 times since then.
The only thing I have ever had to do with it is clean the controls twice and I had to fix a few cable connectors as it is aging and they were tarnished and weren't contacting properly.

I just had to re-do it again recently and it is working as good as it did since I bought it on day one!
I have never had to replace any parts although it could use a two new sliders as the thing is now 20 years old.

I have left the thing on for 24/7 for the last four years without turning it off but a few times to move it for the last 5 1/2 years and it just keeps running!!!
Even $1000 for one of these boards is a steal as I paid $5000 for mine new!!

Else if you really want to go through all of that just Google up schematics for known mixers such as Mackie's VLZ SR series can be found on the web or even the Yamaha MC1202 that can be found here,

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/53933/Yamaha_MC802, MC1202, MC1602.html

I have this mixer too and it is a very good sounding mixer considering the type of opamps (JRC4558's) that it uses.

FWIW

jer :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.