First audio project, Wall controller for room audio system, looking for guidance,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is my first time posting on this site and hopefully I'm posting in the right spot.
I have decide I want to build a in wall system with touch screen interface to play audio.
My design plans..
- Two in puts, one from my master stereo coming through the wall.
second an Aux input for a phone or I-Pod input.
- One Output, I have 2 in wall 4ohm 100Watt speakers.
- I would like the touch screen to control volume and a button for mute. Balance, bass and trouble would be nice but are not required.
- And at some point down the road I would like to put a master controller in that can turn the in wall system on and off and change its volume levels.

Fist thing first, I have no idea where to start. I am not sure what I need to look at building, pre-Amp, powered amp, and volume controller are all things I see throw around on this site, and I'm not sure if I need all that for a small simple amp or are they all the same thing? Also I am not sure how big the amp should be or class of amp do I want to build. I'm not looking for high quality just no distortion. The other part is making it small and low power, with digital volume control instead of mechanical.
If I could get some advice maybe some starting points, I've got the touch screen basically figured out and working, just need to figure out the amp half and how to control it all.

I have seen devices like this one
TC2-AMP2 2 x 20w Digital Amplifier | Vision | AV Installation ProductsVision | AV Installation Products
which seam to be exactly what I'm looking for but with my own interface, and I would like to build it my self.

I look forward to hearing from anyone willing to share some advice.

Thanks

I think you'd be better off with a motorized volume control pot. Digikey may still sell Alps motorized pots. You could use buttons or remote signals to activate the motor, or, just a normal volume knob.

For an amplifier, T-amps (Tripat class-D) are extremely cheap but sound good. Look on eBay for TA2024. Or the Yamaha class-D chips also look interesting; here's a board at Dealextreme:
Y148 Audio Amplifier Module - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.