Speaker Cabinet & Baffle Mounting Questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm new to the forum and a newbie amp builder currently undertaking my first build. Currently focusing on the woodworking side of things and building a solid cabinet to house my 1 12" speaker for my amp head.

When mounting a speaker to a cabinet baffle, is it important to offset the location of the speaker from being exactly dead centre in order to prevent sound wave cancellations from occurring within the cabinet interior?

I only ask because i've seen a lot of baffles constructed with the speaker mounted very off centre and I was wondering if there was a reason for this.

Thanks!
Joel

No , it's made to 'spread' the diffraction effects over a wide band .
Diffraction is the sound reflected by the baffle itself , which sums to the sound from the speaker , so some cancellations or gain at some frequencies may be heard . If the speaker 'sees' equal lengths around ,the reflected waves
would then be directly proportional to the frequency and the length that the baffle 'offers' to the straight path :scratch:
Indeed , in multi way enclosures the effect of the baffle is highly regarded , and treated as such . Since the ear is more sensitive to mid and treble , the problem has been 'circumvented' by using narrow baffles or by putting some felt around the drivers to prevent it.
But I guess you are talking about instruments box !?!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.