Retro Ipod boombox build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently saw these really cool portable ipod/computer speakers online: tomboxshop

Since I am a college student they are a little out of my budget, but I am pretty handy and I figure that I can build something similar.

So far I have decide on these components:
speakers: 2x Dayton Audio ND105-4 4" Aluminum Cone Midbass Driver 4 Ohm 290-212

amp: Dayton DTA-1 t amp (can be powered by 8 AA batteries)
Dayton Audio DTA-1 Class T Digital AC/DC Amplifier 15 Watts Per Channel - Parts Express 300-380

I would deconstruct the amp and mount the speakers in an enclosure styled like an old radio somewhere in the size range of Height 5in x Base 10in x width 4 in

I would have liked to do a 2 way speaker design, but I'm not sure it would fit in the small package

please give me any suggestions if this would work and sound good. Portability and sound quality are the highest priority.

i have just finished my boom(ish) box it is build with
TA2020
Li-ion battery
Charger
Tang Band W4-655
Marmitek bluetooth module
it is a bit bigger than i first planned but it sounds beautiful

Attachments

• IMG_0274_1.jpg
    IMG_0274_1.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_0275_1.jpg
    IMG_0275_1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0276_1.jpg
    IMG_0276_1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 206
I recently saw these really cool portable ipod/computer speakers online: tomboxshop

Since I am a college student they are a little out of my budget, but I am pretty handy and I figure that I can build something similar.

So far I have decide on these components:
speakers: 2x Dayton Audio ND105-4 4" Aluminum Cone Midbass Driver 4 Ohm 290-212

amp: Dayton DTA-1 t amp (can be powered by 8 AA batteries)
Dayton Audio DTA-1 Class T Digital AC/DC Amplifier 15 Watts Per Channel - Parts Express 300-380

I would deconstruct the amp and mount the speakers in an enclosure styled like an old radio somewhere in the size range of Height 5in x Base 10in x width 4 in

I would have liked to do a 2 way speaker design, but I'm not sure it would fit in the small package

please give me any suggestions if this would work and sound good. Portability and sound quality are the highest priority.

Hi,

IMHO, the speakers you've chosen won't have enough HF dispersion for outdoor use: I'm finding 2.5" drivers too beamy, so 4" midbasses will definitely need tweeters.
I'd reconsider them altogether to be honest: their sensitivity is low, so you'll need a lot of power (in batteries and amplifier) to get a decent amount of sound out. Their upside is you'll get some low end out of them.

The amplifier won't last long on AA batteries. The amplifier needs a 12v supply (I assume: 8x1.5v=12v), so why not use something with a little more capacity?
There's a lot of high-capacity CCTV batteries around, but they tend to have low(ish - I heard ~350mA) maximum current capability. If you can make on of those work (using, for example, a CCS and a big bulk capacitor), you're sorted - they go up to 9.8Ah in something not much bigger than a deck of cards. The decent rechargable AA batteries I have here are 2.2Ah - that's a considerable difference in capacity.

I suspect you're new to this game, so feel free to ask any "stupid" question you may have - you'll find most aren't stupid at all.

Chris

The dimensions for the actual speaker and amp are w, 35cm h, 20 cm, d, 15cm with the wood and controls the dimensions are w, 38,6 h, 27cm d, 16,5cm. The speakers are actually the ct-218 times two and a small place for the amp etc. in between. Because I can't calculate speakers I went for a kit with good reviews and that ment that the dimensions were more or less set. The complete amp costs (with trail and error) €220.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.