Harness Lacing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After lurking here for a bit, I'm surprised not to see anything specifically aimed at harness lacing. While tiewraps do a fair job of cleaning up an unsightly wire bundle, the old technique of nylon lacing can do a much neater job. The lack of awareness about this may be due to a diminishing source of nylon lacing material. But a trick I stumbled on years ago for small bundles is to use waxed dental floss as a lacing material.

Anybody else here have lacing experience?

Doc

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Anybody else here have lacing experience?
Doc

Hi Doc,
I laced miles of harness assemblies as a depot level repair tech for U.S. Air Force. I was introduced to lacing cables as a technician in the Navy and worked on a major radar system that used tubes - predating transistors. Even the transistor and digital circuit radars had tons of laced harness assemblies tho. I think there used to be a section in the NEETS series of manuals about how to do it properly.

Hey - great link Steve!!!

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I re-posted elsewhere, folks liked it.

But the number of people who will DO it is super-small.

Roughly like the number of people who have *designed with* Core memory. (As used in the Apollo Flight Computer.) My Dad has. His wife's brother never did. I owned a core-board bought from surplus. None of his other children ever used the stuff.

I re-posted elsewhere, folks liked it.

But the number of people who will DO it is super-small.

Roughly like the number of people who have *designed with* Core memory. (As used in the Apollo Flight Computer.) My Dad has. His wife's brother never did. I owned a core-board bought from surplus. None of his other children ever used the stuff.

Wow, don't encounter many people who know of "the core" so to speak. I first learned about it in early 70s when I was learning about jukeboxes. Seeburgs used core memory to record song selections. I'm of an age where I even encountered "drum" memory. Bought a surplus military avionics unit that I still have inductive pickups kicking around my parts bins from. Being of such age (and frequenting suplus houses) I also became well familiar with nylon laced harness assemblies.

I'm glad at least somebody got some usage from thread. My own addition was the waxed dental floss trick for small harnesses. It can really make for some nice tight wiring. I recently used regular harness material on a generator rewire. Dumb mfg used undersized "Molex" connectors on a 6.5kw generator. They burnt up! I replaced connectors with some Euro type barrier strips and laced final harness so that in future I could just loosen one side of barrier connectors and pull back harness without worrying about wire location. Entire strip lays right back where it belongs, tighten screws and you're done.

Guess I've rambled enough.
Doc

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.