The DAC "do you have experience with this dac", Best diy dac for the money?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
I've been looking for a excellent but cheap DAC; excellent meaning I dont know, a dac you would pay 2000$ in a store

Can the chinese dac upsampling 24/192 delivers enough? the thread is too long, and people seems to finish by drop it eventually and make something better I seem to notice

Should I go for another dac then?

I have around 300$ max as a budget and would like to build something good enough to be satisfied for years.... can the chinese delivers? or not

thanks
Jason

I once stumbled upon a dac kit from china. The site was called "diy hifi supply" or something like that. They have a dac kit costing around 100$ based on TDA1541. You can buy one that has tube output. You can have a complete kit with your 300$'s :). Only problem...i cant find the site anymore :))

anybody willing to pick up this tread ?

i'm looking for a new dac too.

i thought of buying a gamma 2 dac, (i have already a gamma 1) but then stumbled upon audi gd nfb-3.

the advantage of the gamma is that you can power a headphone, the advantage of the nfb-3 is that it has a dedicated psu. (something which i will build if i buy the gamma)

any other thoughts ?
thanks

I know this is an old thread, I'll post in some newer threads too about this.
I bought the $40 shipped Muse dac based on a TDA1543. All I can say is, it is nearly as good as the TDA1541 based dac in the rotel CD player I got. It is 6 or so db down, cos the muse dont have a opamp in it (or not that I recognize one in it anyway).

A friend of mine who is currently testing lots of $600-$3000 dacs, complete with tube etc etc said he's impressed. Its not as good as the tube follower dacs he's playing with, but putting tubes behind the 1543 should solve that shortcoming. That's why we got the extra 6-9 db to play with.

Cool.
Srinath.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.