To hardwire or not to hardwire...That is the question.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

So I have this week off, so I'm hoping to make a lot of progress on my speakers/amp.

I purchased 2 amp PCBs. An LM3886 x2 board, and a LM4780 x1 (paralleled),

Unfortunately, the pitch/lead spacing for the terminal blocks are kind of unstandard, or at least I can't find any that will be suitable. So I just want to hardwire all of my input/outputs to the board.

I don't know why I made this thread, but...

Does anyone object to soldering the wires right in versus using a terminal block?

Does it sound any different? My connections on the back panel of the amp will of course be modular, with banana plugs and RCA jacks etc.

Thanks.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Just be a bit careful with the pads - overheating can cause the adhesive bond to breakdown and the pad will lift off. Secure the wires in some manner that they will not stress or "pull" on the connection - i.e. some strain relief such as tywraps or simply a bit of extra length on the wires to relieve any mechanical stress.

Thanks. These boards are quite good quality so I doubt I'd have any problems with lifting the pads. All holes are plated all the way through and stuff...

I'd rather not be bothered with terminal blocks, and once I finish this amp, I do not plan on really tweaking it or changing things. Initially I'll have to do some playing around, but it won't be in an enclosure or anything. Terminal blocks actually get pretty pricey at maybe $2-5 for the higher current ones.

Thanks for the quick feedback.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.